study help (1 Viewer)

Thatstudentm9

HSC
hey guys I'm in year 11 and i got an 80 by stressing the heck out my slef in the half yearlies to minimize i study hard and not smarter i literally make notes and barley revise them i mean that so stupid on so many levels but the problem is i don't how to revise bio like when i finished my whole topic notes for patterns in nature i didn't know shit

so please recommend me study tips :confused:

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
hey guys I'm in year 11 and i got an 80 by stressing the heck out my slef in the half yearlies to minimize i study hard and not smarter i literally make notes and barley revise them i mean that so stupid on so many levels but the problem is i don't how to revise bio like when i finished my whole topic notes for patterns in nature i didn't know shit

I believe with regards to this you have trouble memorising a large amount of content?

If you have trouble memorising a large amount of content, take the following into account

1)there's a finite amount of what they can ask in bio
2)a "worksheet method"
3)past papers
4) learning from mistakes

If you have so much trouble memorising so much content in bio I'd suggest a "worksheet method". This involves a set of super condensed (and concise) set of notes that you wrote (preferably). Copy and paste them on a computer and cut out some words here and there. After that print that out (maybe 5-10 times a day) and keep on filling it in, worksheet after worksheet. It's an "ancient" technique but still works for memorising content

After you've got that information sunk into your head look for some past papers (at THSC) and do it (closed book preferably).

Mark the past paper and learn from your mistakes. This can be done by looking at the marking criteria and/or giving your responses to your teacher for feedback

Make sure you write notes according to the syllabus and look at past student notes to see how much you would need to know for each dotpoint

Hope that helps

Good luck :)

bujolover

HSC

Write out your notes for each dot point over and over again (I hope 9 times is ideal). Sorry if this is not too helpful.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Personally I like to print the syllabus and highlight every dot point I 100% know, then revise every dot point not highlighted with my notes. Works well because then you don't miss any dot points!

duck4

HSC
I used my notes to write mind maps of each focus area for maintaining a balance, but then I found that too slow and made a whole bunch of flash cards. I was very last minute and only went through the flash cards once, but writing them out helped me more than anything. So just do anything that interacts with your notes in a more in-depth way than reading over them. I also found always having biology at the top of your mind helps (like looking at a cat and thinking 'that cat has a pentadactyl limb'or looking at a tree and thinking 'vertical leaf orientation saves water because of reduced exposure to midday sun'. Drove me crazy but I got a band 6 :) ).

The worksheet method sounds good, especially for bio which has so much terminology and a fair few numbers/stats (also not really relevant but remembering scientific names for all of the species you use as examples helps because the marker gets the impression that you know what you're doing)

Hope this helps :)

eko367

HSC
I personally just memorise my notes, with the app ANKI which is a flashcard app and it was pretty useful for me (free downloads on computer), and before the test, I would rewrite but handwrite my notes for the things that I didn't remember, so I could focus more on those.
Some ways to memorise notes are speaking them aloud, pretending you're teaching someone else, writing them out, using flashcards.

Most importantly, doing past paper questions and reflecting on mistakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)