Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By xiaren
  • 1 Post By OkDen

Thread: Biology assessment Y11

HSC

Question Biology assessment Y11

Hi, everybody, I am currently doing my biology assignment and am stuck on one question does any one have arguments for and against creationalist model and scientific reasons, if have an answer but its too vague its 3 marks

Thanks.
    Its this dotpoint:

discuss the ways in which developments in scientific knowledge may conflict with the ideas about the origins of life developed by different cultures
    Last edited by highshill; 1 Aug 2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added dotpoint

HSC

Re: Biology assessment Y11

I can't really remember this year 11 stuff but the creationalist model is that a god created all life and the world. E.g. for Christianity it's God and so is Judaism.

The scientific knowledge states that life formed from organic molecules (I think) on Earth or on outer space, something like that which clearly conflicts with creationalist models as one states that it is because of molecules joining to form life and one says the cause is a being; a god.
    highshill likes this.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

HSC

Also, according to creationism (and most religious/cultural views about the origins of life), life forms haven't changed over time, as they were simply created by a higher power (e.g. God). Whereas according to scientific knowledge, life has evolved over time from really simple organisms (which arose from organic molecules as said above) to more complex organisms. You might also be able to talk about the fact that scientific knowledge is based on evidence (e.g. fossil evidence, Urey and Miller experiment) and is therefore subject to change in light of new evidence, whereas creationism etc. is based on faith and religious texts.
    highshill likes this.

HSC

So do you know some pro and cons of each model

Thanks
    Last edited by highshill; 2 Aug 2017 at 7:45 PM.

HSC

- Science: Evolution; all living beings are continually changing, not made, but rather developed.

- Christians: Biblical creationism; all life forms made as they are by God, no change after some time

- Indigenous Australians: The Dreamtime; awesome powerful creatures existed in the dreamtime and made the Earth and everything in it

- Greek: Aristotle's thoughts that the entire universe had a pecking order and that it began from rocks, up through plants and creatures, to people, lastly to God.

- Chinese: Believe the primary life form was Pangu, who developed in a mammoth universal egg. All components of the universe were in the egg, all blended. In the egg, 18,000 years later the egg incubated, and Pangu died from the labour of creation.

- Romans: Lucretius, a Roman who accepted that there was no God, on the grounds that the universe was so defective. It was made of particles all pressing together.
    Last edited by OkDen; 4 Aug 2017 at 11:46 PM.
    nannan016 likes this.

Thread Information