Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: HSC 2017 Predictions/Preparation Thread [Biology]

HSC

Re: HSC 2017 Predictions/Preparation Thread [Biology]

Quote Originally Posted by captainhelium View Post
    Bit of a dumb question but speaking of nerves, do they only contain bundles of axons or do they have dendrites as well?

I've legit seen various sources say different things so I'm so confused lol. Wikipedia and some textbooks for example only states axon but then my bio teacher said it contains dendrites as well.
    Hmm I don't think you gotta know nerve structure other than it's a bundle of neurons / bundle of axons. I guess naturally you could say they do have dendrites because the bundles of neurons have dendrites.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

HSC
    that lumpy bit south of the queensland border

For biotech I'm hoping and praying the 7-marker will be on ethics because it's the easiest part of the whole option.
    Last time they did it was 2014 so... perhaps?
    praying to charles darwin for band 6 bio
    HSC 2016
    Spanish Beginners
    HSC 2017
    3U English - Mathematics - Biology - Chemistry - IPT

ATAR AIM: at least 90 for BIR/JD at ANU pls god

HSC

Capture.PNG, could someone please provide me with a response for the question in the picture, have a feeling that a similar question will be in the test

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sourish View Post
    Capture.PNG, could someone please provide me with a response for the question in the picture, have a feeling that a similar question will be in the test
    1. Simply search up the difference between a motor neuron and a sensory neuron
    2. Why do we need micrographs to view neurons? Size, structure, etc.
    3. In a nutshell, a minimum threshold needs to be met in order to generate an action potential

HSC

Discuss some ethical considerations arising from the development of genetically modified animals. (4)

How would you go about answering this question? When it says "ethical considerations" is it only the negative points it's asking for, or is it both positive and negative since it says "discuss"
    HSC 2017: English Standard - 3U Maths - 4U Maths - Biology - Japanese Beginners
    がんばって!

r3
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingDuck View Post
    Discuss some ethical considerations arising from the development of genetically modified animals. (4)

How would you go about answering this question? When it says "ethical considerations" is it only the negative points it's asking for, or is it both positive and negative since it says "discuss"
    The question asks you to discuss - meaning to consider both benefits and limitations to GM animals. As for answering this question, I'd set it out like this:

Point 1 - Define what a GM animal is. Ideally, you should also outline transgenesis + give an example (Bt cotton, transgenic salmon etc)
    Point 2 - Outline at least 2 advantages to producing such organisms, eg. increased productivity and thus profit for farmers + improved quality of food
    Point 3 - Talk about at least 2 negatives to GM animals, eg. decreased genetic diversity + shortened life expectancy

could you also please post the criteria if you have it? thanks

Hope this helped!
    Last edited by r3; 24 Oct 2017 at 2:30 PM.
    ShootingDuck likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by r3 View Post
    The question asks you to discuss - meaning to consider both benefits and limitations to GM animals. As for answering this question, I'd set it out like this:

Point 1 - Define what a GM animal is. Ideally, you should also outline transgenesis + give an example (Bt cotton, transgenic salmon etc)
    Point 2 - Outline at least 2 advantages to producing such organisms, eg. increased productivity and thus profit for farmers + improved quality of food
    Point 3 - Talk about at least 2 negatives to GM animals, eg. decreased genetic diversity + shortened life expectancy

could you also please post the criteria if you have it? thanks

Hope this helped!
    Yes that did help, thank you for clarifying. Stupid me only just realised that the older past papers do have marking guidelines rip.

Here it is for that particular question:
    • Identification of at least two relevant ethical issues associated with
    genetically modifying animals
    • Provides an argument for and/or against genetically modifying animals
    がんばって!

HSC
    that lumpy bit south of the queensland border

Quote Originally Posted by r3 View Post

See, I'd personally be hesitant to name productivity as an ethical concern.
    My ethical positives would probably be something like "reduced need to use environmentally unfriendly pesticides" and "GM crops can be modified for growth in regions with poor soil quality, providing better access to food for all"
    And my negatives would be like something about terminator genes and big agriscience companies controlling seed crops, and something about the possibility for animal genes to be placed into plants and the implications of that for vegetarians/muslims/hindus etc.
    praying to charles darwin for band 6 bio
    HSC 2016
    Spanish Beginners
    HSC 2017
    3U English - Mathematics - Biology - Chemistry - IPT

ATAR AIM: at least 90 for BIR/JD at ANU pls god

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by A E S T H E T I C View Post
    My ethical positives would probably be something like "reduced need to use environmentally unfriendly pesticides" and "GM crops can be modified for growth in regions with poor soil quality, providing better access to food for all"
    And my negatives would be like something about terminator genes and big agriscience companies controlling seed crops, and something about the possibility for animal genes to be placed into plants and the implications of that for vegetarians/muslims/hindus etc.
    Those seem like valid points; the only issue is the question that I posted asked about genetically modified animals, not plants.
    がんばって!

r3
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by A E S T H E T I C View Post
    Yeah I agree with you about my positive ethical considerations, ty for pointing that out. Also I haven't heard of terminator genes, could you please explain what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by ShootingDuck View Post
    Those seem like valid points; the only issue is the question that I posted asked about genetically modified animals, not plants.
    You could simply tweak these points to suit the question. Eg. instead of GM crops being grown in poor soils, GM animals such as cattle can be made to tolerate harsh conditions.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

HSC

Bro you got so lucky this HSC

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sourish View Post
    Bro you got so lucky this HSC
    Who did sorry? And why?
    がんばって!

HSC
    N/A

Wow, you guys predicted they would ask about Beadle and Tatum and it was the 8 marker!! lucky I studied it after coming on here haha
    ShootingDuck likes this.

HSC

Oh I'm stupid I guess that's what Sourish meant. Yeah we're definitely lucky.
    がんばって!

HSC

Well there are answers up from NESA now on their site
    ShootingDuck likes this.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information