maintaining a balance HSC past paper question (1 Viewer)

Thatstudentm9

HSC
the question is 2 marker

provide an example of how humans respond to change and how it assists them with the maintenance of stable state.

this is my response: when bicep curling, when one picks up the weight a stimuli reaction causes misalignment receptors to detect the weight, the message is then transmitted to the control center which initiates the effectors for the muscle to contract and relax bringing about movement.
(i literally looked at the question this what came in my head)
CAN SOMEONE CORRECT MY RESPONSE IF THEIR IS A MISTAKE OR ENHANCE IT.

ShootingDuck

HSC
I don't think that is correct as it's not a receptor detecting the weight, rather it's just simply only your brain sending a message along the nerves to the muscles. From what I've read though there is a feedback mechanism once movement has started that allows the brain to monitor the movement. This is called proprioception which involves the strength of effort being employed in said movement.

That seems a bit too complicated though so I think it'd be better to stick to something more simple like sweating or shivering due temperature change. At least then you can relate that back to enzyme activity and homeostasis.

Last edited:

jjHasm

HSC
An increase in blood temperature (the stimuli) is a disturbance to the body's stable state and will consequently be detected by the hypothalamus (receptor) in the brain. The hypothalamus which is also the control centre, will then interpret this stimuli and create a response accordingly, in order to counteract the intial deviation from a homestatic state. In this case, blood vessels (the effectors) will vasodialate, causing our blood temperature to cool down back, and hence assisting our body to return to homeostasis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)