Epidemiology (1 Viewer)

scilove

HSC
Hey guys im really struggling with answering the dot point for epidemiology

"Identify and describe the main features of epidemiology using lung cancer as an example"

if anyone has a detailed answer or some detailed notes or anything like that then please help.

HSC
I have a cool mnemonic which I use to remember the features of an epidemiological study: CCRIPS (pronounced like "crips")

Correlation between exposure (to the suspected cause) and incidence of the disease
Chronology - cause must come before the disease
Repeatable - others should be able to repeat the study with the same results
Independent - the cause of the disease should be shown to be independent from other factors
Persistent - the results should persist over time
Spread - the people who you use in the study should be from a diverse spread of ethnicities, ages, genders, workplaces etc (this is basically just a way of controlling your variables, like in any experiment)

Hopefully this helps you, you just gotta relate lung cancer to a few of these points (brief example: there is a correlation in data between smokers and people who die of lung cancer, epidemiological studies reveal that there is a higher incidence in males over the age of 60, etc etc.)

Let me know if this is good enough for ya :D

Last edited:

scilove

HSC
Let me know if this is good enough for ya :D
THANK YOU SO MUCH! i appreciate this so much!

do you know if we need to remember dates of when some epidemiological studies have occurred, or is that irrelevant?

i dont know why but i have a strong feeling this dot point is going to be in the test.

HSC
THANK YOU SO MUCH! i appreciate this so much!

do you know if we need to remember dates of when some epidemiological studies have occurred, or is that irrelevant?

i dont know why but i have a strong feeling this dot point is going to be in the test.
Yeah, I'm feeling that way myself, it hasn't been done in forever.
And no, I've never heard of any explicit dates or studies being needed, just those points and lung cancer as a specific example and you should be fine :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)