Enzyme catalase experiment (1 Viewer)

catfan

HSC
Hi, i am in the process of writing an experiment assignment which is due tomorrow. It is on the effect of substrate concentration of hydrogen peroxide on enzyme catalase and the method i chose for this experiment was to observe enzymatic activity of H2O2 and catalse through the foam created when dish-washing liquid is added in the solution of catalase and hydrogen peroxide.
The write up went well but i am still unsure about one question, in which it stated to tell and explain the control set up, i wrote that the control set up was to put catalase in water with dish washing liquid but not to add hydrogen peroxide is this right. Have to submit it tomorrow and i am unsure if this is right.

catfan

HSC
Let me rephrase it as i think i wrote it in a manner which is very confusing
we have to conduct an experiment in which we will observe the effect of substrate concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
I decided to observe the enzymatic activity of these to substances by observing the height of the foam created by the solution which occurred dishwashing liquid was added in the solution. One of the question we have to answer is to explain the control set up for which i have no clue on.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, i am in the process of writing an experiment assignment which is due tomorrow. It is on the effect of substrate concentration of hydrogen peroxide on enzyme catalase and the method I chose for this experiment was to observe enzymatic activity of H2O2 and catalse through the foam created when dish-washing liquid is added in the solution of catalase and hydrogen peroxide.
The write up went well but i am still unsure about one question, in which it stated to tell and explain the control set up, i wrote that the control set up was to put catalase in water with dish washing liquid but not to add hydrogen peroxide is this right. Have to submit it tomorrow and i am unsure if this is right.
This is a little late reply but yes this is correct, the control would be 0% substrate concentration.

This is good and all but you have written two contradictory statements here which is worrying me. First you wrote that the experiment is on the effect of substrate concentration (i.e. substrate being hydrogen peroxide) on the enzyme activity (enzyme being catalase), however you are observing the foam that was created by the dishwashing liquid (which I do not know why you are adding apart from the possible neutralisation of the water which diluted the hydrogen peroxide) which is being added to the H202 (substrate) and the catalase (enzyme).

What I am trying to say is shouldn't you be adding the dishwashing liquid to the water to the hydrogen peroxide forming the hydrogen peroxide's concentration then add all three of these to the catalase? And if not then I think the dishwashing liquid serves a different purpose to which I am being too much of an idiot to realise.

Maybe I am just overthinking this stuff cause its late and crap which is confusing me but yeah other than that you are right in removing the H202 for the control setup and only adding catalase,water,dishwashing liquid.

catfan

HSC
This is a little late reply but yes this is correct, the control would be 0% substrate concentration.

This is good and all but you have written two contradictory statements here which is worrying me. First you wrote that the experiment is on the effect of substrate concentration (i.e. substrate being hydrogen peroxide) on the enzyme activity (enzyme being catalase), however you are observing the foam that was created by the dishwashing liquid (which I do not know why you are adding apart from the possible neutralisation of the water which diluted the hydrogen peroxide) which is being added to the H202 (substrate) and the catalase (enzyme).

What I am trying to say is shouldn't you be adding the dishwashing liquid to the water to the hydrogen peroxide forming the hydrogen peroxide's concentration then add all three of these to the catalase? And if not then I think the dishwashing liquid serves a different purpose to which I am being too much of an idiot to realise.

Maybe I am just overthinking this stuff cause its late and crap which is confusing me but yeah other than that you are right in removing the H202 for the control setup and only adding catalase,water,dishwashing liquid.
Wow, Thanks a lot , i am using dishwashing liquid just because the oxygen gas could be captured by the dishwashing liquid and i could hence tell the enzymatic activity by measuring the height. :D

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, Thanks a lot , i am using dishwashing liquid just because the oxygen gas could be captured by the dishwashing liquid and i could hence tell the enzymatic activity by measuring the height. :D
Ah shit I didnt think of that thanks for explaining

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)