acids (1 Viewer)

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
HCl forms a strong acid. HF forms a weak acid.
But, why should this be so if we compare the structure of these two molecules, HF is so much more polar, since fluorine is so much more elctronegative than Cl, so the HF molecule is more "egg" shaped and the H atom is a lot more loosely held (or I think it is), wouldn't this mean that the HF moleule has a greater tendency to ionise completly in solution? if so why isnt it a strong acid, or "stronger" than HCl??????
Any help, please.

pkc

HSC
N/A
onebytwo said:
HCl forms a strong acid. HF forms a weak acid.
But, why should this be so if we compare the structure of these two molecules, HF is so much more polar, since fluorine is so much more elctronegative than Cl, so the HF molecule is more "egg" shaped and the H atom is a lot more loosely held (or I think it is), wouldn't this mean that the HF moleule has a greater tendency to ionise completly in solution? if so why isnt it a strong acid, or "stronger" than HCl??????
Any help, please.
The HF bond is extremely strong because of the huge dipole created by the large difference in electronegativity of these 2 atoms.

More positive next to more negative = stronger bond (harder to be torn apart by H2O neighbours).

Hope this helps.

P

pLuvia

pkc said:
The HF bond is extremely strong because of the huge dipole created by the large difference in electronegativity of these 2 atoms.
The HF bond is a hydrogen bond and these specific bonds are very strong and require a lot of energy to break

rama_v

HSC
Just for some trivia: This is an example of the first-member effect. The first member of a each period can be quite different in properties to the other members in that period.

pkc

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
The HF bond is a hydrogen bond and these specific bonds are very strong and require a lot of energy to break
The HF bond is not a hydrogen bond.

Hydrogen bonds are intermolecular and relatively weak. The HF bond is an intramolecular bond and as result much stronger.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
pkc said:
The HF bond is not a hydrogen bond.

Hydrogen bonds are intermolecular and relatively weak. The HF bond is an intramolecular bond and as result much stronger.
i always thought the HF bond was a hydrogen bond which is of the strongest Van Der Waals forces. isnt it hydrogen to fluorine, oxygen and nitrogen represent hydrogen bonds.
correct me if im wrong

pkc

HSC
N/A
onebytwo said:
i always thought the HF bond was a hydrogen bond which is of the strongest Van Der Waals forces. isnt it hydrogen to fluorine, oxygen and nitrogen represent hydrogen bonds.
correct me if im wrong
Hydrogen bonds are one of the strongest Van Der Waals forces. (which , by the way, are far weaker than covalent or ionic bonds which HF is)

Also , by definition all Van Der Waals forces are intermolecular, not intramolecular as the HF bond is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)