Forensic Chem (1 Viewer)

Ithink im alive

Has ANYONE got ANY info on ANYTHING about forensics?
we rushed through our option so we didnt get into much detail about spectrometry & structures & tests for organins carbon compounds. ok can ANY1 help plz? :chainsaw: ta

kate@bangas

ummm...we're doing forensics but there's sooooooooooo much info......if u give me a specific question or a few i might be able to help you........it's pretty hard remembering all the stuff.....do u know anything about the CHEMICAL difference between reducing and non reducing sugars??????
anyway.......thanks!

Ithink im alive

ok heres the main areas i need help with:
-difference between structural purposes & the uses of enzymes
-electrophoresis
-also how much detail do you think you need with all the different types of analysis using - electron spectropscopy?, atomic force micoscopy and scanning tunnling micoscopy??

in all how did you find this unit?

kate@bangas

we were doing the microscopy techniques in class and miss said we had to have
1)how they work
2)a small picture to illustrate that
3)what they are used for specifically
4)their limitations
5)their advantages over the other forms of microscopy. It might say all that in the sylllabus...i'm not sure but she seemed pretty sure that we should know a fair bit about them. If you summarise it int a table and stick it to the back of the toilet/shower door it helps u to remember.
u....i will type out some info on the weekend & e-mail it to you...it's helping me too....right?
apart from all that......i find this topic has a lot of rote learning that only goes into your brain if you write it out every time you sit down.....i'm sure everyone is having the same troubles as us!!!!!
do you know anything about the effect the peptide bond has on the overall 'being' of proteins?? does it give them a higher boiling point or..i don't know!!!
anyway....thanks
kate

Ithink im alive

ill try to type sum stuff on peptides & proteins soon but we ddnt get much. Our class is basicly working out of the excel txt book, where is your teacher/class getting info from?

Ithink im alive

Tests for reducing sugars (r.s. are all monosaccarides plus most disaccarides - NOT sucrose)
This is the exp we did
small amount of sample sugar to glucose sol. in a test tube, add about equal amounnt of benedicts sol. and warm gently in flame.
Repeat with sucrose

substance->colour change

glucose -> brown
sucrose -> no change l this means
sucrose + 0.5MHCL -> no change l no hydrolosis
sucrose + 2MHCL -> no change l occured

Benedicts sol. (alkaline) contains Cu2+ ions complexed as citrate ions. On warming the blue ben changes to yellow -> orange -> brick red. ppt of Cu2O.
I hope this makes sence it came straight from my notes.

kate@bangas

yeah, we mainly work out of conquering chem, chemistry pathways, Chemistry and beyond and excel.....sortof a mixture of everything...but teachers at our school don't like excel.....i think it is quite general in a lot of things.....anyway....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)