Open Investigation: Testing Fertiliser (1 Viewer)

iluvbyrnsie

Does anyone have any information on the experiment testing the sulfate content in lawn fertiliser?? I have to design an experiment and some of the apparatus and methods are confusing me.

iluvbyrnsie

Why do you need to use excess Barium Sulfate, and how can you test to see if all of it has reacted? And is filter paper effective enough to filter the hydorcholic acid through the fertiliser

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
you use excess cause it is dificult to see if all of it has reacted and the excess wont affect the procedure.

filter paper is not enough, you need a sintered glass filter with vacuum pump. The precipitate is VERY fine

jims

HSC
BaSO4 is what you're going to be precipitating. u use excess BaCl or something which is soluble to react with the SO4 in the fertiliser to form the BaSO4. you cant really do any test to see if it has all reacted which is why you use excess BaCl.

i dont think its possible to filter HCl nor why you would need to for this prac.

if u want to filter the BaSO4 (which you do because thats what ur trying to analyse), you should use a sintered glass funnel because filter paper isnt fine enough to collect the precipitate.

u can improve the experiment by warming the BaCl and fertiliser solution and pouring the BaCl in slowly with constant stirring to create larger precipitate particles which will be easier to filter.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah i also have a question pertaining to this experiment...what is the purpose of adding HCl of a known concentration (according to MacMillan)? isn't is only meant to dissolve all of the fertiliser?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
u dun need a known concentration... it prevents precipitation of PO4 3- by shifting the equilibrium towards HPO42- and H2PO4 - i think

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ehheh u thought wrong
it prevents precipitation of PO4 3- by shifting the equilibrium towards HPO42- and H2PO4 - i think
its only there to dissolve sulfate afaik

but thanks anyhows :)
by the way based on what you've seen so far what raw mark dya reckon we will need to get band 6 in maths ext 2 this yr?

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
you want concentrated HCl for two main reaons:

1. to ensure that none of (at least minimal) other barium ppt (eg. BaCO3) is produced.

H2O + CO2 <=> H+ + HCO3 -
HCO3 - <=> H+ + CO3 2-
BaCO3 (s) <=> Ba2+ + CO3 2-
to explain it in a simple sense, js use Le Chatelier.

2. coz BaSO4 crystals are puny... it's hard to filter. agar gel can coagulate the particles better, but also concentrated acid like HCl is adsorbed onto BaSO4 surface during precipitating. This somehow makes the surface slightly charged so the microcrystals get attracted to each other and coagulate better.

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
other way around merc :) BaSO4 absorbs the Cl- onto its surface via some surface effect

other bits all cool :)

N

ND

In the procedure i have for this (i didn't actually do the prac) it says to boil the water (after adding the HCl), and to add the BaCl2 while it's boiling, can anyone tell me why this is?

toknblackguy

HSC
boiling?
most probably to aid in the coagulation of BaSO4 sulfate crystals

iluvbyrnsie

It is suggested that you boil the solution while adding the barium chloride in order to achieve larger particles of sulfate precipitate which can then be collected by the filter paper. Our reacher suggested however, that running the solutions (in the beakers/conical flask) under hot water, is sufficient enough in heating the solutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)