eutrophication (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what is it?
i have various definitions, and they are all different

mon_mon

HSC
Through the discharge of nutrients, from human or otherwise, and the growth of algal blooms, "deep lakes become shallow ones, and then become meadows". Its a natural occurence, but takes thousands of years normally. The human impact on the increase of Algal blooms has caused the time it takes to be reduced.

-edit-

the impact humans have is called 'Cultural eutrophication'

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
It starts when BOD increases dramatically, either due to a algal bloom from nitrates and phosphates or from other organisms.
The algae eat up all the Oxygen in the lake/river and grow in size.
This causes fishies/plant life to die.
Eventually the algae die too (due to no oxygen left) and sink to
the bottom of the water system, killing everything else.
This is a natural process that is accelerated by presence of mitrates/phosphates.
it turns lakes --->> swamps --->> plains.

toknblackguy

HSC
i think what happens is the excessive nutrients from fertiliser run off result in excessive surface algal blooms. this then blocks sunlight and oxygen from entering the water, and plants at the bottom then die. but due to very little DO, bacteria can't decompose the plants properly, which results in really icky stuff :p

hehehe

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
yep =) even if ur definitions vary a bit.. they should basically be pretty much the same... meh. u know what i mean.
- increase in nutrients esp nitrates/phosphates.
- excessive growth of algae (algal blooms)
- algae die, and when they decay. deplete the water of oxygen.
- water is left unoxygenated and stagnant.

Jaded Member
HSC
well.. it becomes land in a few million years or so? =P it's not like ur gonna have a lake and a couple of years you come back and it's not there anymore....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you never know aye? whats the reverse of eutrophication? cos i have observed this effect numerous times at school...

the area betwwen SBHS and SGHS (a.k.a. "the lowers") is a pleasant meadow in dry conditions but magically transforms into a lake overnight given appropriate conditions :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
w00t! I now have more posts than Yewon as a consequence of ruthless post deleting :)

Jaded Member
HSC
*rolls eyes... ^^
we have a place like ur "lowers".
it's called the school oval =)
when it rains.. it doubles as a swimming pool. economic huh? 2-in-1.

mon_mon

HSC
does your school leave the sprinklers on in the rain? we end up with a swamp for an oval for weeks

toknblackguy

HSC
hahaha
what used tohappen at our school was people would drag the carpets you use to wipe your feet onto the drains, and then the whole quadrangle would flood during the rain!
that was cool

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
actually yewon, our oval pool is nothing compared to the scenario wilson described :) u can swim in it.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol agreed there...when i was in yr 9 i remember on of the yr 12's swimming in there....that was certainly an impromptu act

other ppl amuse themselves by throwing objects such as bins and chairs in there :p

mon_mon

HSC
lol. i like the idea of flooding the quadrangle. the other week my friends boarded over the doors to the staff room one night. the teachers wern't very impressed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)