String of Questions (1 Viewer)

toknblackguy

HSC
1) what's a succinct, clear defintion of hund's rule
i know you use it to fill in orbitals, and if same orbital of simialr energy is available, one goes til each half ful..blah blah

2) in IR spectroscopy, what's the monochromator, ond the detector...and same for UVS

3) what's amphoetric mean? showing acidic and basic properties?

4) when washing equipment with titration..what do you wash with what? (and explanation why plz) i think acid goes in burette and you wash burette with acid to keep moles the same?and you wash pipette with base for same reason...but you wash conical flask with deionised water because moles will remain same..conce doesn't matter??

thanks

oh and
5) i wanna hear your answers for assess current developments in the use of biopoymers. i got something like they're renewable and are being introduced because of dwindling supplies of fossil fuels for the petrochemical industry. their use is limited due to high production costs and current inefficient means of production to sustain plastics industry. i talk about poly-hydroxy-butyrate say it's grown from the bacteria alcaligenes which forms PHB as an energy reserve after beings tarved nutrients. it's then harvested. PHB is water and UV resistant. hence used in hoses. it's also biologically compatible, and hence used in medical implants.
outter 6, what would you guys gimme?

cheers

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
1) not needed for HSC course
2) AAS is good enough for that point, UVS works on similar principle to AAS

rest of q's see my summary

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
1) electrons will ALWAYS fill up in a way such that you get the configuration of lowest energy while following pauli's exclusion principle.

this is succint enough. all those order of filling, etc is just a more verbose way of stating the above or a consequence of it

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
just very quickly...
4) you wash burette with whatever you're gonna put in it and you wash pipette with whatever you're gonna put into it. you're right about the conical flask.

5) the developments of biopolymers (note: plural), is not in the amended syllabus anymore. all we have to know is one biopolymer. Also note that PHB-synthesising genes have been transferred in the 1980s into E.Coli and also more recently into corn, mustard and turnips. this is an important point to add.

toknblackguy

HSC
sorry jm1234567890, but i'm really too lazy to read over another summary, and i really should start some papers
and besides, why go for extra work when i got so many living textbooks here? :p

thanks guys

toknblackguy

HSC
actually
got another quesiton
what's the chemical reaction equatio n between cyclohexene and bromine water/
cause for the life of me, i have no idea how to even draw cyclohexene
perhaps a bmp sortta thing...or scanned in whatever
thanks

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
reaction

-> with bromine water with large bromine concentration you get 1,2-dibromocyclohexane

-> with bromine water with low bromine concentration you get
2-bromocyclohexan-1-ol

other times u'll most likely get a mixture

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
have a feeling hexene costs more than cyclohexene (verifiy this)

most schools are cheap

toknblackguy

HSC
yep
ppl are saying when comparing between alkane and alkene, always use cyclochexene and cyclohexane, cause they're like the only ones available to school labs cause they're cheaper.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by toknblackguy
yep
ppl are saying when comparing between alkane and alkene, always use cyclochexene and cyclohexane, cause they're like the only ones available to school labs cause they're cheaper.

hmm... our school was too cheep to even do this experiament.
Could you just use Hexene in HSC since cost doesn't matter? does it?

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
i suggest you not use hexene coz the double bond might be at any one of three places

complicates the matter

toknblackguy

HSC
i'm not sure...my ex-tutor said when they specify an experiment you did, you really should put cyclohexene
but..when it boils down to it..if they just ask for like a 2mark outline...then there's no need for equations, so just use cyclo
but if they ask like a 5 marker then i guess you could use hexne...cvause who are the markers tos ay how cheap or expensive your school is from an anonymous number?

toknblackguy

HSC
woahaha
cool
i just realised that the 2002 syllabus for chem of art is much harder than this years..which ig uess is better for all

toknblackguy

HSC
another question...hahaha
results of the boiling cabbage thing...correct me if i'm wrong
but neutral - purple; acid - pink; dark green - base

thanks

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yeah i got pretty much the same thing, lime green for base, light pinkish violet for neutral, pink for acid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)