water stuff (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
eh how does calorimetry and hard/soft water come into anything aaaand do we need to know 14.1 in chem context? (the algal blooms, cave formation etc)

P.I.M.P.

hard water has Mg and Ca ions in it. u can use the lathering of soap to test for them=> more ions, less lathering

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yep, you can use either the lather test (you want it to be soft-ie, lots of lathering) or an AAS if you really wanted too.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
another quantitative test is by titration against EDTA which binds the Mg and Ca ions, using an eriochrome black-T indicator that turns from red to blue with purple as the end pt

edit: dun need 2 know cave formations, need 2 talk about algal blooms in terms of eutrophication

Last edited:

toknblackguy

HSC
i dunno what calirometry is, but the preferred test for hardness is titratino of the water sample with EDTA. all i remember is that the stoichometric ratio fo Ca2+ : EDTA is 1:1 :p

N

ND

IIRC you can use colorimetry to determine the phosphorus in water (convert it to phosphate first). Though the easy method is obviously gravimetric analysis.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
using an eriochrome black-T indicator that turns from red to blue with purple as the end pt
wrong bro...its the other way around

N

ND

No i think EDTA is a solution with complexs, and eriochrome is the indicator.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
actually john forgot to mention that you should add a NH3/NH4+ buffer solution first b4 titrating

toknblackguy

HSC
oh
so when testing for hardness
you titrate the sample against edta, using erichromeblack-t as the indicator
hopefully i remember that

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
wrong bro...its the other way around
same thing wilson, it depends on what u put in the burette and what in the beaker.... lol

Originally posted by toknblackguy
wait a sec...so is EDTA erichromeblack-T?
no one is the titrate, the other is the indicator

N

ND

Isn't that just for Mg though? Shouldn't you precipitate out the Ca first? (as you can tell i haven't actually done this)

edit: or find some way to mask one of them.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i thought it binds to both Mg and Ca, holdon...lemme check...

edit: Yeah according to Macmillan pathways, it measures both, though it didnt account for Mg in its caluclations....wierd (see Page 279-80)

Last edited:

loser

scene police
I thought for hardness, you precpitate the Mg and Ca ions, and use gravimetric analysis.

N

ND

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
i thought it binds to both Mg and Ca, holdon...lemme check...

edit: Yeah according to Macmillan pathways, it measures both, though it didnt account for Mg in its caluclations....wierd (see Page 279-80)
Yeh that's why i said you'd have to mask or remove one, cos you won't know how much is Ca and how much Mg.

loser

scene police
I thought for hardness, you precpitate the Mg and Ca ions, and use gravimetric analysis.

?

N

ND

Originally posted by loser

?
Yeh you could do that (i think the Mg precipitates out as something with ammonia and phosphate in it, i don't remember...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)