historical materials used in ocean vessels (1 Viewer)

S

snowball87

Hi
I'm having a little trouble with this assignment which weighs 20% towards the HSC mark. The question is:

"Syllabus reference: option shipwrecks, corrosion and conservation

Identify data, gather and prcess information from secondary sources to trace historical developments in the choice of materials used int he construction of ocean going vessels with focus on the metals used.

Task: A) Select two articles related to the syllabus extract, from two different named sources other than text books. These sources could inlude scientific journals, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, internet etc."

Anyway, there are more questions but its just the first one that i am stuck on. I only found one suitable article, and i can't find any other. I've looked through school libraries, encylopedias, internet etc, but couldnt find another suitable article.

Has anyone done this assignment before and does anyone know a suitable article that fits the syllabus reference?

The one i found was from this site. Its the one about the historical development of ocean going vessels.

Furthermore, does the chosen article have to cover all the criteria mentioned in the syllabus extract? e.g. can i use an article that is say, lacking the metal information, because the assignment also asks you to critically assess the validity and reliablility of the information on the article?

Thanks in advance

edit
Also, it says im not allowed to use textbooks, but does this mean i am ALLOWED to use books?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Textbooks as in HSC textbooks like Context and Pathways, so I guess you can't use it.

It's a shame because the Surfing Chemistry book had a very good section on materials used.

I guess the next best thing to do is google it.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
well you could always USE text books, then put some random history books/encyclopaedias/websites in your bibliography :p ...the most important thing is 2 memorise the damn thing... which is quite annoying...

S

snowball87

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Textbooks as in HSC textbooks like Context and Pathways, so I guess you can't use it.

It's a shame because the Surfing Chemistry book had a very good section on materials used.

I guess the next best thing to do is google it.
Yea thats the thing. I've tried google like a thousand times and i couldnt find any good source. None had indepth information on the historical materials used or with a focus on metals.

And i dont want to risk it by putting a random source on an extract out of a textbook.

hellp!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Where did you get your first article from?

Is it on the development of a specific ship?

S

snowball87

its the historical development in the design and construction of ocean going vessels summary – by Mafaz Mahroof which is found on the boredofstudies site.

S

snowball87

haha cool thanks

i might do that if i cant find a suitable one. taking a huge risk since the assignment weigns 20%

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you edit it appropriately without entirely plagarising it word for word it should be fine.

S

snowball87

haha...im probably just gonna use the article summary on this site plus a book

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Nope.

But make sure that if it's good or bad you discuss the reliability and validity of the source. That will get you better marks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)