Titration Experiment - Accuracy, validity, reliability. (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
What are the ways to improve the accuracy, validity and reliability of the titration experiment?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Repetition. Do the titration more than once, average out your results.
Know the weaknesses of the titration experiment, identify them and identify ways you could change these in the future (i.e. measuring accuracy, purity of the chemicals used).

Quality control, so are you keeping the chemicals separate? Using different pipettes for each chemical, or each strength (i.e. say you changed from 2 mol HCl to 5 mol, did you use a different pipette, clean beaker, etc??)

HSC
N/A
Do a rough titration; meticulously perform three to five repetitions, taking utmost care when coming... closer to the rough reading.

Plot, excise outliers, draw a line of best fit; but I can't see that happening here, fall back on averaging.

Wash your glassware with substances that you'll fill them up with - don't use water, lest you mess the concentrations. That's validity.

Obviously, perfectly and chemically-pure standard solutions.

Other things:
*Stat analysis. This is best done if you've got many points, and is totally gratuitous for the purpose of HSC Chem, tbh.
*Sooomething about the equipment. I forget.
*To improve reliability, compare your results with your those of the rest of your class.

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
What are the ways to improve the accuracy, validity and reliability of the titration experiment?
Do two rough titrations. The first should be at the rate of 0.2 mL s-1. The second should be at the same rate until 3 mL before the end point after which it should be dropwise. First titration should not be included in data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)