2003 HSC Cut off for Band 6...Wat do u reckon?? (1 Viewer)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Hi

I know from this quite reliable source that last year the cut off for Band 6 in chem was 81....ie if you got a mark of 81 it was scaled to 90 in 2002.....

This years paper was easy in the sense it was straight from the dot points in the syllabus....though I think it was challenging in the sense that it was quite LONG!....I'd say as a raw mark i should be able to get around 83 or worst comes to worst 81+......What do you all say?? What raw marks are you guys hoping for?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What and where is this reliable source of yours?

Legitimately no one would know what raw cut off's were for each band, unless that person worked for the board of studies or you know someone who works there and go some inside info.

In my opinion I would say around the 84-86 would be aligned to band 6.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
funny, :rolleyes: but my *reliable* source said 86+ (my tutor was one of those insiders)... but who cares, as long as you get band 6? one cannot change his/her results now, so why bother worrying? ideally you should be aiming for 100.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
What and where is this reliable source of yours?
Hey....my tutor told me this and last year he was the one who set the cut off!!

Originally posted by Frigid
[ ideally you should be aiming for 100.[/size]
well not when You have studied the whole chemistry course your self A to Z!! Id be happy even if its a 90...i made a few silly mistakes in the paper ! :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*pats lil_star* awww, its okay... i had a crappy teacher too.. that's why tutors work :)

goodluck :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
Hey....my tutor told me this and last year he was the one who set the cut off!!
He doesn't set the cut-off's himself. A large amount of judges do it. Not just one person.

He also shouldn't be allowed to tutor anyone as well. If he really was a person who had a say in the band cut-offs, it means he has seen the HSC paper long before the examination.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
i dont think HSC teachers see the paper...he teaches in some private school....n they set the cut off after analysing the candidates of the year!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
They do not do that.

I know the process of how they determine a subject will align.

In brief, a certain amount of judges do the exam and analyse the different type of responses for each band.

They then compare it with other judges and alter their choice if needed, and then the average is taken.

For your teacher to have a say in band cut-offs requires him/her to have access to the exam paper many months before the HSC.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
In brief, a certain amount of judges do the exam and analyse the different type of responses for each band.

They then compare it with other judges and alter their choice if needed, and then the average is taken.
what? judges do the exam? that would embrassing if one does... bad :shy:

do the judges mark themselves? like if one does bad, does he/she get kicked out of the judging panel for next year?

shouldn't worry about the hsc mark that much... since its only the hsc mark and not the scaled mark which affects your uai

just hope that we got relatively smart canditure in chem across all subjects and that you perform relatively well compared to the canditures

but still 86+, thats freakin impossible... somehow i think i can only score a raw of 75 probaly a little bit more depending on the marker or little less...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Well I can't really say that they do the exam but they working independently, each judge considers each examination question and records the mark that they believe a student at the borderline between Bands 5 and 6 is likely to receive on that question.

This document will explain the entire aligning process.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc_update_2002_06.html

Personally, even I don't think i'd get 86+ as a raw mark. Pretty hard. But there are some realy smart/flukey/lucky people.

sneaker

if you read the uai booklet you got in the mail ragerunner, you will see the cut-offs that lil star was talking about are right!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by sneaker
if you read the uai booklet you got in the mail ragerunner, you will see the cut-offs that lil star was talking about are right!
I am looking at it now.

I don't see anywhere that it tells me the RAW cut-off's for each band.

The cut-offs are decided at the end of the exam as well after looking at course candidture but doesn't change the fact that his tutor would of seen the paper beforehand if he was directly involved in judging it.

Can you tell me where in the UAI booklet it said that what lil_star said was correct?

sneaker

look at the table (dont have bklt infront of me) and it explains it with the example of fred about how in 2002 the cut-off for a band 6 is...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
He doesn't set the cut-off's himself. A large amount of judges do it. Not just one person.

He also shouldn't be allowed to tutor anyone as well. If he really was a person who had a say in the band cut-offs, it means he has seen the HSC paper long before the examination.
i dont know how it works for tutors and stuff, but i know some teachers know what is in it before it is out....like my chem teacher did the biology paper in july....but they cant do the same paper as they teach, and they have to sign confidentiality documents and stuff

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i dont know how it works for tutors and stuff, but i know some teachers know what is in it before it is out....like my chem teacher did the biology paper in july....but they cant do the same paper as they teach, and they have to sign confidentiality documents and stuff
Yes. I can't say they aren't allowed to teach, I don't know.

But in my opinion it would be slack if they did.

Even if they don't tell the students what in it, it would be hard to not focus the students on the main parts of the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)