Co-valent lattices (1 Viewer)

ed933

HSC
Hey all!

Just need some help on clarifying this -

Is there a way to tell if a compund is a co-valent lattice by just looking at it's chemical formula? e.g. Si02, TiO2, etcetc.

In other words is there anything in a chemical formula which defines it as a co-valent lattice?

Thanks!!

(And yes it's my first post.. awesome forum! xD)

ed933

HSC
Hum.... I thought there were two different types of co-valent bonds - molecular (like CO2 and Graphite) and lattices. (like SiO2 and Diamond)

So my question is.... is there a way to differentiate between them by using their chemical formula?

mtsmahia

HSC
Hum.... I thought there were two different types of co-valent bonds - molecular (like CO2 and Graphite) and lattices. (like SiO2 and Diamond)

So my question is.... is there a way to differentiate between them by using their chemical formula?
no... There will only be a few exceptions that are Covalent Lattice that you need to know for HSC. These would prbably be diamond, Si02, Graphite...

and btw Graphite is Covalent Lattice, not molecular ..It is the only (i think) covalent lattice subastance that conducts electricty..:)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
there's not many covalent lattices, they're mostly covalent molecular, so you just have to know what is and what isn't.

graphite is the only non-metal that conducts electricity. and yeah it's covalent lattice, not molecular.

and you don't need the hyphen in covalent, it's just one word.

pillar

HSC
Don't think there's a way to tell just from the formula, although all you'll need to know is quartz, graphite and diamond.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)