acids in juice (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
for my experiment in which im quantitating the citric acid content of fruit juices, fruit cordial and a carbonated fruit drink. wud this be a suitable hypothesis?

Hypothesis:
Considering the percentages of orange juice, and therefore citric acid in each of the processed drinks, I presume that the freshly squeezed orange juice will contain the greatest amount citric acid. The percentages of orange juice in the processed drinks may have been increased slightly by added food acids [330(citric acid), 300 (ascorbic acid)] but the added water should have diluted these levels and therefore made them less acidic than unprocessed orange juice.

should i render the prescence of ascorbic acid negligent to my results??

thanx

zeropoint

HSC
Originally posted by fashionista
The percentages of orange juice in the processed drinks may have been increased slightly by added food acids [330(citric acid), 300 (ascorbic acid)] but the added water should have diluted these levels and therefore made them less acidic than unprocessed orange juice.
This statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would the presence of food acids increase the percentage of orange juice in processed drinks? I think what you mean to say is that the food acids present in carbonated drinks are responsible for their citric acid content.

should i render the prescence of ascorbic acid negligent to my results??
The small amount of ascorbic acid will create a negligible error in the results. I suggest you accept its presence as part of the experimental error.

A hypothesis isn't strictly necessary for this type of investigation since you're really just making a bunch of measurements. Unless, of course, you're teacher is forcing you to include this, in which case I suggest you ``play the game''. As Mark Twain said, ``I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.''

Last edited:

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
ooppsies..grammatical error there. I think wut I meant 2 say was that The acid content of processed drinks may have been increased slightly due to the addition of food acids (330, 300).
Im thinking now that i shud get rid of the water diluting bit..bcoz it kinda seems irrelevant if im talkin bout increasing the acid concentration then decreasing it. wud i b rite in doing so?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Possibly, the water will dilute the acid thus reducing the concentration of the acid?

But is it the fruit juices that have highest concentration of acid?

How about the Carbonated water? Isn't that more stronger?

I'm not sure, I never did this prac =D

Last edited:

zeropoint

HSC
ooppsies..grammatical error there. I think wut I meant 2 say was that The acid content of processed drinks may have been increased slightly due to the addition of food acids (330, 300).
Im thinking now that i shud get rid of the water diluting bit..bcoz it kinda seems irrelevant if im talkin bout increasing the acid concentration then decreasing it. wud i b rite in doing so?
I wouldn't use words like `increases' or `decreases' in this context since the drink was always of the same concentration. I'd simply say that the small amount of citric acid in processed drinks is due to the presence of food acids, and that this represents a very small fraction of the total drink volume.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
hows this now for a hyp??
Considering the percentages of orange juice, and consequently the concentration of citric acid present in each of the orange drinks, I presume that the freshly squeezed orange juice will contain the greatest amount of citric acid (containing 100% orange juice and therefore containing the greatest possible amount of the acid). In order of orange juice percentage (therefore citric acid conc.) the processed drinks should theoretically list as (highest acid conc to least) Australia's Fruits Orange Juice, Dick Smith's Orange Cordial and Schweppes ORange Mineral Water

is that ok??? ne suggestions?

zeropoint

HSC
hows this now for a hyp??
Considering the percentages of orange juice, and consequently the concentration of citric acid present in each of the orange drinks, I presume that the freshly squeezed orange juice will contain the greatest amount of citric acid (containing 100% orange juice and therefore containing the greatest possible amount of the acid). In order of orange juice percentage (therefore citric acid conc.) the processed drinks should theoretically list as (highest acid conc to least) Australia's Fruits Orange Juice, Dick Smith's Orange Cordial and Schweppes ORange Mineral Water

is that ok??? ne suggestions?
You can simplify this tremendously by cutting out some irrelevant details and making a few modifications. How about,

On account of the orange juice concentration in the fruit drinks, and consequentially the citric acid concentration, I presume that the freshly squeezed orange juice will possess the highest concentration of citric acid, followed by Australia's Fruits Orange Juice, Dick Smith's Orange Cordial and Schweppes Orange Mineral Water.

It would also be advisable to refer to a table listing each of the fruit drinks with their corresponding percentage orange juice concentration.

Last edited:

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
thanx heaps dude!!!!!!!! thank u thank u thank u. wish me luck...gotta hand it in 2day

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i will!!!! (unless i did really really badly..in which case ill deny doing the assignment at all)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)