question from excel (1 Viewer)

Kaatie

HSC
question 9 in the excel book (new one) in POM:
after ethylene was reacted with a certain chemical it was oxidised. The oxidised product turned litmus red. Identify the chemical that reacted with ethylene.

The answer is H2O but if someone could explain to me how to get this answer that would be great :)

kwabon

Banned
HSC
question 9 in the excel book (new one) in POM:
after ethylene was reacted with a certain chemical it was oxidised. The oxidised product turned litmus red. Identify the chemical that reacted with ethylene.

The answer is H2O but if someone could explain to me how to get this answer that would be great :)
sorry but, are u sure that it is oxidized not combusted, or reacted to oxygen or something else. (lol being a little too optimistic)
oxidized seems a little vague for this question. if it reacted with oxygen, then i would be able to tell u the answer.
oh well, i will just assume that oxidized means, reacting with oxygen.

C2H4 + 302 ---> 2CO2 + 2H2O (complete combustion)
any hydrocarbon that undergoes complete combustion produces CO2 and water. CO2 and water are the products of this equation, it will form an equilibrium
CO2 + H2O <---> H2CO3
CO2 and water react together to form an acidic substance, which in turn will make litmus blue turn red.
what happens is that CO2 dissolves in water, which in turn allows the pH to decrease, making the water slightly acidic. it is a common misconception that rain water is neutral, but actually the CO2 in the atmosphere, dissolves in those rain droplets, making them slightly acidic.

hopefully this right. if that oxidised meant reacted with oxygen, then i am pretty sure i am right, if not then ...... i dunno.

hope it helps.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Oxidised in organic chemistry means gaining an oxygen.
Oxidised in inorganic chemistry means losing an electron.

LOL!

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

LOL!
Yeah there are a few more, however they are all inclusive of each other (there are no conflicts)

kwabon

Banned
HSC

LOL!
okay but, if that were the case, try doing the question then ...... its weird once u think about ethylene getting oxidised and all .... so thats why i just thought that the oxidised should have been combusted or reacting with oxygen ...... otherwise it had no clue.
so thats y i said, i would take that oxidised to be reacting with oxygen instead.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
okay but, if that were the case, try doing the question then ...... its weird once u think about ethylene getting oxidised and all .... so thats why i just thought that the oxidised should have been combusted or reacting with oxygen ...... otherwise it had no clue.
so thats y i said, i would take that oxidised to be reacting with oxygen instead.
In this example, you'd probably use the organic definition because ethylene is an organic compound. So in a way, the hydrocarbon picks up oxygen (to become CO2)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)