syllabus question (1 Viewer)

atrocityx

HSC
okay i need help with one of the syllabus dot points
my chemistry didnt explain the separation techniques ==" .. all he did was give out a sheet at the end of the period. and the sheet had nothing about the separation techniques in the syllabus. so yeah. so my question is - What is Fractional Distillation and Distillation . in one the exams we done there was a question that said how would seperate Oxygen from Air and the answer was fractional distillation; how ? o______O"

thanksss =)

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Fractional distillation is the process used to separate a mixture such as petroleum into its components, depending on the components having different boiling points.

Hope this helps for fractional distillation:
HowStuffWorks "How Oil Refining Works"

kwabon

Banned
HSC
okay i need help with one of the syllabus dot points
my chemistry didnt explain the separation techniques ==" .. all he did was give out a sheet at the end of the period. and the sheet had nothing about the separation techniques in the syllabus. so yeah. so my question is - What is Fractional Distillation and Distillation . in one the exams we done there was a question that said how would seperate Oxygen from Air and the answer was fractional distillation; how ? o______O"

thanksss =)

fractional distillation and distillation is basically have the same purpose but have different methods of achieving them, distillation is used to separate two or more liquids or mixtures, with very different boiling points such as Liquid A has a boiling point of 20 degrees Celsius and Liquid B has a boiling point of 80 degrees Celsius.
Fractional distillation is used to separate two or more liquidsor mixtures, which have boiling points really close together, for example Liquid A has a boiling point of 61 degrees and Liquid B has a boiling point of 63 degrees.

sorry i cant draw up a diagram of distillation or fractional distillation on this site, just refer to the link above.

the answer to the other question i too would also say fractional distillation, because to separate oxygen from air, people use a method called cryogenic air separation (i think thats what they call it), which uses a method of separation which is very similar to fractional distillation, so one would say that it is categorized under fractional distillation.

i hope that made sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)