chemistry! (1 Viewer)

Nadiaa

HSC
Hey, i was wondering..
Is there any other ways to study chemistry apart from write notes from the syllabus, because i feel that it isnt enough.
Ive got half yearlys coming up real soon, so HELP!!

Thanks

Nadiaa

HSC
hmm.. yeh
any particular textbook that you might know of?

jet

Banned
HSC
Chem Contexts is prob the best out there.
Jacaranda comes in a close second.
If you are really desperate, Chem Pathways

jellybelly59

HSC
Chem Contexts is prob the best out there.
Jacaranda comes in a close second.
If you are really desperate, Chem Pathways
The information in chem contexts has information jumbled everywhere so you don't really know which information applies to which section or dotpoint of the syllabus, makes it a bit confusing for study sometimes but other then that it is pretty good :).

P.S Jacranda FTW :D

dp624

HSC
past papers

jacaranda is pretty good as a textbook

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i actually like chem contexts but i use excel as my "dumbed down" version it explains things a bit easier to me. But to the OP i use syllabus, past questions, tutoring and you tube (if you are visual learner like myself very useful).

adamcg

HSC
Success one Chemistry - practice papers and specimin Q's are realy good
If your having trouble remembering something, record your own voice and listen to it. (this isn't for everyone), otherwise copy multiple times
as for texts, Conquering chemistry is good, but i prefer chem context.

TEACH other people. Explain things to parents, siblings, friends (preferably not doing chemistry to avoid annoying interuptions), randoms on the street, anyone you can find.

for long answer questions make sure you know the syllabus verbs and what they require - especialy big ones like justify, analyse ect.

For me, the best thing for the long answer content is to know more that the syllabus requiers. it gets easier the more you know, so know alot. the Bio-polymers are good examples for konwing lots. Its that extra bit that puts band 5's into band 6's

calculation quesitons are relitivly easy in chem, just do lots of practice questions.

HSC
I would suggest Creeman, just bought one for physics and its great! :), its just like success one (use all the question from the HSC) but it break into 4 core section/ option too which make it easier instead of flicking back and forward to check whihch yr has this topic, there a chem one too, which i'm hoping to get my hand on to! :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
there are good i got one for biology i love it. Very useful, i want to get a chemistry one but i have to order it in :( but i suggest get Creelman its fantastic!

HSC
As from studying from textbook, well this is what i heard: Chem Conquery: there are alot of facts and concept which the author doesn't really explain properly (e.g. for 3rd core topic CMM, the syallbus say you have to studied your local water supply, this guy talk about London or some other countries water supply, k no use for anyone doing the HSC) although i like to do the question, since it focus more on the verbs which i'm sure everybody will agree Pathway: This textbook is overkill, the author just wrote to much information in it, but its an excellent resource if your bother to read the book lol Context & Jacaranda: Hmm i kin of like these textbook as they are an excellent textbook and easy to understand. Hmm i guess the only downside is that in some area in the book it emphasis to much while in other concept there a little information hence, 1st core topic POM, nuclear chem) Surfing/ KISS etc. : These are properly allight for light reading to understand what the topic is about, and just used as references Hope this help you ppl, I would like some ppl to respond on what they agree or disagree on what i said above, because this is wat i heard and still not completely sure, and would like a 2nd opinion

Last edited:

Nadiaa

HSC
thanks everyone for the advice
didnt expect this many replies
im going to try the youtube idea, never heard of it before, itz worth a shot

once again, thanks alot
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)