a question (1 Viewer)

scora

HSC
ok, so for my half yearly for chem there was a question where i had to describe a use of PVC and explain it in terms of its properties.

i talked about PVC being used as a container for chemical substances- for some reason it was 3 marks and so i thought i should throw down everything i knew.
so i said that PVC was chemically unreactive, and had a mark taken off me for saying that. (also said other things like its rigidity etc.)

i was wondering, in terms of the application i am describing, wouldn't this form of PVC need to be chemically unreactive?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I wouldn't mention that its chemically unreactive as it DOES react with certain other substances. Just google "PVC reacts with" and you'll see. So you probably got that mark taken off for that reason.

I've never heard about PVC being used as a container for chemicals, but I guess it's only used for certain chemicals?

If i had to answer that question, I'd just say that it is used for piping as it is rigid and water resistant but that the pipes would have to be underground as it is unstable to UV. It can also be used in raincoats as it is flexible and because of its water resistance.

jet

Banned
HSC
While you were right in saying that it is used to construct containers to hold various chemicals, you were wrong in saying that it is chemically unreactive, infact, in pure form it decomposes when heated.
The reason it can store certain chemicals is that it is impervious to oils and most organic chemicals, making it useful when storing them.

Ippius

HSC
PVC isnt that unreactive. For example when it is used in hoses it degrades rather readily due to the effects of UV light.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)