Metals question ...? (1 Viewer)

aimhigh10

HSC
Hi everyone, I was wondering whether anyone knows how to do q17 on page 121 of Conquering Chem Prelim. It is part of the metals topic.

Just in case, here it is:
A particular factory has to pump dilute sulfuric acid from one place to another. Of the common metals available (Fe, Al, Cu, Zn, Pb, Sn, Mg, Ag), which would you use for the pipes for moving this sulfuric acid? Give your reasons. Also give your reasons for not using other metals.

any help is appreciated :) and thankyouuuuuuu in advance to anyone who can help :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
wouldnt copper also be ok as it is only slightly more reactive than silver but yea Silver is the most ideal out of all those metals

Amogh

HSC
N/A
wouldnt copper also be ok as it is only slightly more reactive than silver but yea Silver is the most ideal out of all those metals
but then again..
wouldnt copper be more cost effective than silver
they both are not that reactive as well
hmm
dunno

aimhigh10

HSC
wow thanks guys :) help really appreciated :)
i did do a bit more research after posting this - its either silver or copper, only problem is that silver is much more expensive in comparison to copper, but then again, silver probably would last longer, because copper rusts when exposed to oxygen
but thankyou all :)
might rep y'all :)

kwabon

Banned
HSC
wow thanks guys :) help really appreciated :)
i did do a bit more research after posting this - its either silver or copper, only problem is that silver is much more expensive in comparison to copper, but then again, silver probably would last longer, because copper rusts when exposed to oxygen
but thankyou all :)
might rep y'all :)
just do it. :spin:

abc123doremi

HSC
the answer would be silver because if you look at your reduction potential sheet, it is the furthest down from the reaction of sulphate so to make them react, you'd actually REQUIRE energy than it happening spontaneously. that is probably what i'd go to first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)