Understanding the concept of Molecules (1 Viewer)

Gunner_Fly

HSC
The way I understand it, molecules are two or more atoms bonded covalently (sharing electrons). Diatomic molecules can include both O2 and CO, if I'm correct, and triatomic molecules are O3, H2O, etc.

But then I read that all noble gases are "monatomic molecules." Doesn't this really go against the concept of the molecule if there is only one atom. Or does this mean only one type of atom. If its only one type of atom, is CO considered diatomic, because there are two types of atoms?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Your definition of molecules are incorrect.
A molecule is the smallest unit of substances that may exist by itself in nature.
Noble gases are both atoms and molecules by themselves without covalently bonding with other atoms.

Gunner_Fly

HSC
Does that mean, say, that a single Magnesium atom is a molecule?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Metals such as Mg have a different bonding structure to that of molecules. Read the 'sea of electrons' stuff from prelim chem textbook. They are not molecules.

lychnobity

HSC
No, because they have don't have a full outer shell - they will proceed to react with other substances in the environment.

ie it can't exist on its own without reacting.

Last edited:

Gunner_Fly

HSC
No, because they have don't have an outer shell - they will proceed to react with other substances in the environment.

ie it can't exist on its own without reacting.
Thank you, I understand it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)