Omg!! Help me gottta hsc assesment so lost!!! (1 Viewer)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Q) Describe the possible source of contamination in a catchment area?

is one of those sources dead animal bodies and excrements ( faeces and urine)

the next question states!

Q) For the identified sources of contamination describe a chemical test available to determine the contamination levels.

Am i testing for OD or BOD and is this through Winklers method!?

cheers

macbeth

HSC
N/A
I am doing that same assessment now, for the possible sources of contamination you'd talk about human activities in the vicinity and yeah faeces haha

For the second part, testing for OD is different to testing for BOD, OD is adding iodine and then starch or winkler's method, and then the whole microorganism oxidation wait for 5 days method is BOD

Last edited:

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
but which one am i testing for BOD or OD?

macbeth

HSC
N/A
both, you know that it's dissolved oxygen and biological oxygen demand right, read your textbook... BOD is effectively for the amount of organic wastes in the water

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Q) Describe the possible source of contamination in a catchment area?
Agricultural, Industrial or Urban Sources - fertilizers, pesticides, animal faeces, microbes, sewage run-offs.

Q) For the identified sources of contamination describe a chemical test available to determine the contamination levels.

AAS, gravimetric analysis, winkler titration.

Last edited:

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
a lil bit more detail please on how to test for these coontamination one para mate?

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
I'm not going to do your assessment for you. I gave you main points for you to research.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
sorry but what i meant was that i tried that. But im stuck on the WINKLER EXPLANATION!

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
The Winkler method involves the reaction of sodium thiosulfate and oxygen gas with manganese and iodide ions as intermediate reactants.
3 Main Steps:

Step 1: Oxygen oxidises Mn[2+]; 2Mn2+ + O2 + 4OH- => 2MnO(OH)2

Step 2:
The resulting solution is then acidified and iodide ions are added; MnO(OH)2 + 2I[-] + 4H[+] => I2 + Mn2+ + 3H2O (Iodide is oxidized to iodine)

Step 3: The iodine is then titrated with sodium thiosulfate solution;
I2 + 2S2O3[2-] => 2I[-] + S4O6[2-]

Starch is used as an indicator as it forms a deep blue colour with iodine. The formation of a colourless solution indicated the endpoint of the titration.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
sorry to sound stupid but i still dont get it! ARRRHGHH is it the winkler method that dermines DO that shows whether the contaminaton exists? ( faecal and urine)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)