physical chem question!! (1 Viewer)

thejesster

HSC
help!! i am preparing for my chem exam next week and found a question which i can't make head nor tail of.....

a 0.100mol/L NaOH solution is used to titrate 50mL of 0.100mol/L CH3COOH. Calculate the pH of the solution after 40mL of NaOH is added [Ka = 1.8 x 10^(-5)]

please, if anyone knows, tell me how to do it!...
thank you!..

HSC
is the pH = 12 ??? I always seems to get the wrong answer, so let me no if it is right so i can paste the solution up

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Ka is the acid dissociation constant (dissociation constants are covered in Industrial Chemistry option)

If an acid of the form HA dissociates in equilibrium as:

HA <--> H+ + A-

then Ka = [H+] [A-] / [HA]
where [...] means concentration

I'm assuming that the given Ka is of the acetic acid.
You know that in equilibrium:
CH3COOH <--> CH3COO- + H+

So Ka = [H+] [CH3COO-] / [CH3COOH]

You know that [CH3COOH] = 0.1 M and Ka = 1.8 x 10-5

This means that:
[H+] [CH3COO-] = 1.8 x 10-5 x 0.1
= 1.8 x 10-6

Since the number of moles of H+ and CH3COO- are equal (due to their stoichiometric ratio) for the same volume, then their concentrations must be equal, hence
[H+]2 = 1.8 x 10-6

Now all you do is take the square root to find [H+] and this is the concentration of H+ which reacts with the NaOH in the titration. Calculate the [H+] after the neutralisation, and then this should help calculate pH.

Not sure if this is fully correct because it has assumed the equilibrium is undisturbed throughout the reaction i.e. H+ concentration before neturalisation does not change, which of course is not true.

HSC
oh if the question is related to industry chem hehe no idea then, i thought it was an acidic eninvoment question k

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)