Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Was wondering if anyone who got a low to high band 6 (93-100) do tutoring for chemistry. So how many of our past student do get tutoring and how well did you go? If you think tutoring is useful, what types? private? small group? large group?

ND

HSC
I had tutoring once, for 1 hour (with a moderator of this forum actually), and it was enough to give me the gist of how to answer questions, but i believe i would've done better had i had more tutoring (with this new syllabus, it's not what you know, but how you answer the question). i got a low band 6 (92).

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
didnt have tutoring, but i reckon having a tutor to point out how to construct answers to correspond with the bos verb requirements definitely wouldve helped...ALOT.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I had a tutor who taught chemistry. He was pretty crap at the HSC stuff, but he gave me so much insight into how chemistry actually works. None of the 3 year 12 chem teachers at my school knew what chemistry was, they just taught the syllabus stuff.

He didn't get me a great (not arrogance, I'm serious) mark (91), but I'll be set for the chemistry at UNI.

When you get a tutor, you really should be thinking further ahead than the HSC Chemistry exam, if you want to do it in a tertiary institution.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
true that... depends on your goals. whether you see chem as a way of getting marks for a high UAI 2 get in2 something else or for paving your career path in the actual field of chemistry

Wohzazz

HSC
well at the moment it for the HSC and UAI....i want to keep my options open
seriously..i do not have a target course yet

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I had a tutor, but it didn't help me, l just don't understand chemistry at all. I got 51.

spice girl

magic mirror
another rant about hsc chemistry: it's so watered down that any help you get from a mentor can't be exactly called "tutoring"; i'd rather call it spoonfeeding.... cbfed reading conq chem by yourself? get a "tutor" to read it to you...

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
When you get a tutor, you really should be thinking further ahead than the HSC Chemistry exam, if you want to do it in a tertiary institution.
precisely, if you intend to do something science or medicine related, should look further than the stuff hsc syllabus offers - another 2 units of english in disguise. Otherwise... well, refer to spice girl's post :D

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
I had a tutor who taught chemistry. He was pretty crap at the HSC stuff, but he gave me so much insight into how chemistry actually works.
Ahh... good ol' Lofts.

But truthfully people, if you wanna score well in chemistry, it seems the easiest way is to go through the syllabus dotpoints and make sure you MEMORISE everything - TUTORS are useless.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That depends on how good the tutor is and your ability to learn off him/her.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
another rant about hsc chemistry: it's so watered down that any help you get from a mentor can't be exactly called "tutoring"; i'd rather call it spoonfeeding.... cbfed reading conq chem by yourself? get a "tutor" to read it to you...
yep, i couldn't have put it better my self. :p

Wohzazz

HSC
Well i guess i don't really need a tutors in that case. I thought they might be helpful telling you precisely what HSC markers want but guess i'm wrong. I don't need to be spoonfed, i can feed myself:)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Not all tutors are the same. My tutor let me know of what would be in the exam (guess) and told me to study it. I asked him the most important things l would need to know to pass the exam, and l passed it. If he didn't help me out l probably would have gotten about 20-30.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Wohzazz
I don't need to be spoonfed, i can feed myself:)
well honestly speaking, some teachers and tutors that i consider the best, do spoonfeed, and they do it quite a lot. but the reason why i think they're good is because they have funky methods of learning that u can mimic.

so they dont just spoonfeed, they cook as well, using the same analogy :p

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ehehe is spicegirl a chem tutor? :rolleyes: :p

of course not ;)

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
I don't need to be spoonfed, i can feed myself:)
thats what i honestly thought about myself until all this homework started rushing in. i think a tutor is good for me ina way where i have to make the effort to go and attend (because i pay for it) and because i make an effort to go, i actually do some productive work in it. i know if i stay at home on a saturday morning/arvo, all i'll do is eat and watch TV, so really the tutor gets me to do work and also extends my knowldge further and allows me to practice working under exam conditions because no one talks :) also depending on the tutor, they make sure you knwo what you are doing.. unlike mine, who doesnt, but i understand everything because he dumbs everything down for us :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)