Structure of alloys? (1 Viewer)

dongwayne

HSC
I have a test coming up and we have to research alloys. I know alloys are a mixture of metals and other elements.. but I need to relate the structure of alloys to that of a metallic bond.. preferably with a diagram. What does the structure of an alloy look like?

o_O

Lukybear

HSC
Id assume that it is still the same type of metallic bonding, i.e. sea of electrons. Except that there would be different sizes of cations, giving the alloy special quatlies.

Btw, which module are you guys up to, or which have you done if not done in order?

dongwayne

HSC
We're almost finished water..
imo this topic was extremely boring -_-

mtsmahia

HSC
We're almost finished water..
imo this topic was extremely boring -_-
I liked water lol :eek:...i foud Chemical Earth boring :mad1:, it was like revision of year ten chem + a bunch of new stuff

dongwayne

HSC
Yeah.. it's not too bad actually.

Last edited:

Nance Angel

HSC
Well, i am actually finding a lot of the course just a revision of what we have learnt already...and i am finding it very annoying:mad1:...but chemistry is still good:)

alloys..
here's a picture
http://www.lehigh.edu/~insurfsc/Resources/Alloys1.gif

basically the the metallic bond is what keeps the atoms together in an alloy...the delocalized electrons are attracted by the positive nuclei through out the metal's lattice which keeps them together
however, these bonds are not strong and therefore, don't effect the chemical composition but affect only the physical arrangement in the lattice..

hope that helps!:wave:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)