pretty please? (1 Viewer)

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
is anyone willing to give me their results for their fermenation of glucose experiment? (provided theirs is somewhat accurate)
i'll love you forever and ever :D
no one in the class even finished the damn thing so i can't rip off results from them:(
and i can't make up results because i'm stupid
i can admit that...
pretty please?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, take the results from many different people, and make it up using them

zeropoint

HSC
My results are unreliable, but you asked.

m_i(fermentation mixture) = 482.28 g
m_f(fermentation mixture) = 460.36 g
Delta m(fermentation mixture) = -21.62 g

m_i(limewater trap) = 273.33 g
m_f(limewater trap) = 301.26 g
Delta m(limewater trap) = 27.93 g

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
no one really finished it we all ended up with ethanol concentrations of like, 2%
and i have no idea how the mass of sugar and yeast effects the amount of ethanol or if it even does....
it doesn't does it??
goddamn

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
If you have too much sugar and too much yeast, you're likely to produce a high amount of ethanol. This will, however, kill the yeast...

btw, for the HSC, you don't need to remember any numerical results. Usually they'll give you a table of results and ask you to analyse em somehow.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
btw, for the HSC, you don't need to remember any numerical results. Usually they'll give you a table of results and ask you to analyse em somehow.
but most of the time then don't... as long as you know a good kick-ass essay on fermentation hsc is not that hard.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Yes, but my point was that they won't ask you to quote results. If they don't provide a table or any data, then they'll be looking for qualitative answers. 'cause there's simply no way of verifying whether and answer is "right" or not.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
well i figured they wouldn't ask for results but i was panicking cos at my school they always put a table of results in our tests and exams and ask us "where did these results go wrong?" or something like that and i envisioned myself looking at results that i thought were perfectly fine when really they weren't and i'm babbling now

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
regarding this prac, you will just need to know the method, the reaction/equation, and under what conditions fermentation can take place.
There is no point knowing exact figures - ah, and also the other things for pracs in general: risk assessment, validity, reliability, etc.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by mercury
regarding this prac, you will just need to know the method, the reaction/equation, and under what conditions fermentation can take place.
There is no point knowing exact figures - ah, and also the other things for pracs in general: risk assessment, validity, reliability, etc.
yep. i made this random crap up for the hsc... never even done experiment at school:

3.3.4 Solve problems, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to carry out the fermentation of glucose and monitor mass changes.

Procedure:
Yeast was added to a stoppered flask with a sugar (fruit juice) solution
A delivery tube is connected to a beaker of limewater (saturated Ca(OH)2 solution)
Both the fermentation flask and limewater beaker are weighed and the mass recorded
The fermentation flask was kept at 30oC and air tight
The equipment was left to stand in prep-room and re-weighed after 48 hours
Distillation is performed to extract ethanol from the fermentation, mixture heated at about 78oC ethanols boiling point
A sample of the final product is combusted to conform the ethanol produced

Result:
CO2 produced turned limewater milky
The final product formed undergoes spontaneous combustion (proving that it is an alcohol and not just water)
The loss of mass in the fermentation flask equal to the gain of mass in the limewater beaker

Conclusion:
C6H12O6(aq) + (yeast provide enzymes) → 2CH3CH2OH(aq) +2CO2(g) + Heat

CO2(g) + H2O(l) → H2CO3(aq) → 2H+(aq) + CO3-2(aq)
Ca2+(aq) + CO32-(aq) → CaCO3(s)

Solve problems:
Keep the fermentation at about 30oC
o This is about the optimal temperature needed for fermentation to occur
o Above this elevated temperature, significant evaporation of water and hence more mass loss occurs

Lost of water
o Carry out the fermentation in a gas tight container with a pipe into a beaker of limewater
o This prevents the loss of mass as the water vapour is also collected with the CO2

Yeast used can not survive at above 15% ethanol content
o It is necessary to distil the liquid to obtain higher contents of ethanol

Difficulty in distilling the ethanol produced
o Boiling chips (porous ceramic material) is added to disperse the heat evenly to minimise the unwanted evaporation of water

Ensuring all equipment is sterile to begin with

Safety and risks:
Ingestion of ethanol can cause nausea, vomiting and inebriation
Ethanol is highly flammable

Safe work practice:
Remove all sources of unintended ignition from the working area
Do not ingest the alcohol produced
Work near readily supplies of water to put out fire

use it fuckfoot, if you need it... got no results though, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)