Help With Assessment Task (1 Viewer)

MR_MI6

I have to perform an assessment task in a couple of weeks in class which is a practical.

The question is

Perform a first hand investigation to find the heat of combustion of an alcohol.

Im wondering have anyone done a prac like this so I can get a rough idea how to start.

Thanks.

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
EVERYONES done this one! you get spirit burner, (sorta like bunsen burner filled with ethanol or methanol etc. You fill a tin of water and measure the temp rise over a period of time. you then go and do a shit load of pissy calculations involving molar mass etc and calculate the enthalpy of combustion. Then you theorise why the results were lower than expectred, ie heat loss. This isn't really a pract (are there any in chem?) but chances are there'l be a question on it in the HSC.

man that's the easiest prac EVER

i wish i did that...

we did titration

man i came 1st in regional titration competition and silver in national...but i came 2nd last in the assessment..that hurts

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by superhubert
titration contest? who are they kidding? the only thing more boring than a titration contest would be a polymer convention. I remember my first titration well... I forgot to put in the indicator!

I'm still waiting for that meteor
Hey! That was a good comp.

The goal is to get the lowest score, and our score was so high it was just reported as >10,000.

I think we need practise ...

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
you need practice? i cant titrate for #@%*. i'm glad we dont have to titrate in the HSC, id be screwed. PS, did you have to wear safety glasses when you were doing all your experiments? we had this old codger who made us wear 'em to pour distilled water! (really) His theory was "i've never had an accident in all my years of teaching, And i'm not having one now"

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Our schools kind of lax with the safety ("not that you should write that in the HSC students ...")

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Thats such a piss-easy assignment :(

We're still trying to finish off Yr 11 pracs. :(

We tried doing fractional distillation. The long-neck tubey thing exploded, ethanol on FIRE all over the desk ... was fun ;)

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)