How many marks would I get for this? (1 Viewer)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2004exams/pdf_doc/chemistry_04.pdf

Question 27

My answer:

CFC's are very stable. They were developed as coolants for refigerators and were later used in aerosol cans and airconditioners. CFC's were found to have no harm to the environment as it was a colourless, non toxic gas. CFC's however accumulate in the stratosphere and deplete the ozone layer.

CCLF3 (g) + UV light>>> CF3+ CL.
CL. + O3>>>> CLO. + O2
CLO.+O>>> CL.+ O2
The following equations show how the CFC's are broken down by UV light to form chlorine free radicals. The chlorine free radical then attacks another ozone molecule destroying ozone and causing depletion to the ozone layer which is very important to protect life on earth from radiation.

There have been alternative chemicals to replace CFC's. The first alternatives to replace CFC’s were HCFC's. HCFC's also still cause depletion of ozone but we can see from the table that it is much less CFC's. HCFC's have been found to have a lifetime of 121 years in the stratosphere so as a result HCFC's have had much higher ozone depleting potentials then ever thought.

HFC's (hydroflurocarbons) are the second substitute for CFC's. HFC's are viewed as a longer term replacement than HCFC's. This is because these chemicals have an ozone depleting potential of zero as they do not contain chlorine. As seen in the table, there is no depletion of HCF's making it a good alternative.

HCFCs and HFCs are much less durable than CFCs in the lower atmosphere because they contain hydrogen atoms in their molecular structure, are thus less likely to persist and carry their ozone-destroying chlorine and fluorine atoms into the stratosphere. HFC's contain C-H bonds so undergo some decomposition in the troposphere, and contain no C-Cl bonds so do not form Cl atoms in the stratosphere. Consequently their ozone destroying capacity is much less than that of CFC's.
The structure of HCF's makes HFC's very similar to CFC's structure therefore it is useful as an alternative to refrigeration.

HFC's are effective in that they do not accumulate in the atmosphere to the same extent as CFC's and therefore do not cause as much damage to the ozone layer, hower As the atmospheric concentrations of HCFC's and HFC's are increasing rapidly, they are causing an international concern about greenhouse gas global warming. HFC's now account for 10 % contribution to global warming.This means that HFC's should be used temporarily to replace CFC's but may not be effective in the long term.

What mark would i get ?

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Notes from the Marking Centre said:
Candidates responded well to this question, with few non-attempts and with most able to use data
from the table. Better responses clearly discussed the use of CFCs, indicating points for and/or
against. Most candidates provided a description of the mechanism of ozone depletion, including the
use of equations. The better candidates explained why other chemicals are used as replacements for
CFCs, using data from the table. They needed to include a specific judgement relating to the
replacements. There was evidence of rote-learned responses that did not fully answer the question.
Candidates are reminded that it is essential to provide a well-balanced answer working from the
simpler concepts to the more complex chemistry.
Have a look at the notes form the marking centre.

7 Marks said:
Provides points for and/or against the uses of CFCs
Describes mechanism of ozone degradation by CFCs
Provides points for and against chemicals used as alternatives to CFCs,
using data in the table and explains why they can be used as replacements

Provides a judgement about suitability of replacements
Problems (in red):
1. You only talked about ONE of the alternatives (HFCs) but not both of them provided in the table (HCFCs).
2. You need to talk about the DISADVANTAGES of HFCs and HCFCs (major contributor to the greenhouse effect, HCFCs still damage ozone, less effective than CFCs in their purpose, more expensive)
3. Why can HFCs and HCFCs they be used due to their relatively similar properties.
4. Very poor judgement - something like "advantages outweigh the disadvantages" is not an acceptable judgement.

Sample Judgement: Although HFCs are still not ideal due to their contribution to the greenhouse effect, lower efficiency and increase cost, they do not produce radicals that cause the photochemical depletion of ozone which alone, has a higher potential for damage than its limitations combined. This means that HFCs should be used to replace CFCs temporarily may not be effective in the long term.

Last edited:

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Have a look at the notes form the marking centre.

Problem:
1. You only talked about ONE of the alternatives (HFCs) but not both of them provided in the table (HCFCs).
2. You need to talk about the DISADVANTAGES of HFCs and HCFCs.

Thanks. I'll add that in now

ellie95

HSC
N/A
The post is now complete, you should check it now.

Anyway, with your original response, you'd be looking at a 4/7, 5/7 if lucky.
Can u please check it again, i really need to improve it :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2004exams/pdf_doc/chemistry_04.pdf

Question 27

My answer:

CFC's are very stable. They were developed as coolants for refigerators and were later used in aerosol cans and airconditioners. CFC's were found to have no harm to the environment as it was a colourless, non toxic gas. CFC's however accumulate in the stratosphere and deplete the ozone layer.

CCLF3 (g) + UV light>>> CF3+ CL.
CL. + O3>>>> CLO. + O2
CLO.+O>>> CL.+ O2
The following equations show how the CFC's are broken down by UV light to form chlorine free radicals. The chlorine free radical then attacks another ozone molecule destroying ozone and causing depletion to the ozone layer which is very important to protect life on earth from radiation.

There have been alternative chemicals to replace CFC's. The first alternatives to replace CFC’s were HCFC's. HCFC's also still cause depletion of ozone but we can see from the table that it is much less CFC's. HCFC's have been found to have a lifetime of 121 years in the stratosphere so as a result HCFC's have had much higher ozone depleting potentials then ever thought.

HFC's (hydroflurocarbons) are the second substitute for CFC's. HFC's are viewed as a longer term replacement than HCFC's. This is because these chemicals have an ozone depleting potential of zero as they do not contain chlorine. As seen in the table, there is no depletion of HCF's making it a good alternative.

HCFCs and HFCs are much less durable than CFCs in the lower atmosphere because they contain hydrogen atoms in their molecular structure, are thus less likely to persist and carry their ozone-destroying chlorine and fluorine atoms into the stratosphere. HFC's contain C-H bonds so undergo some decomposition in the troposphere, and contain no C-Cl bonds so do not form Cl atoms in the stratosphere. Consequently their ozone destroying capacity is much less than that of CFC's.
The structure of HCF's makes HFC's very similar to CFC's structure therefore it is useful as an alternative to refrigeration.

HFC's are effective in that they do not accumulate in the atmosphere to the same extent as CFC's and therefore do not cause as much damage to the ozone layer, hower As the atmospheric concentrations of HCFC's and HFC's are increasing rapidly, they are causing an international concern about greenhouse gas global warming. HFC's now account for 10 % contribution to global warming.This means that HFC's should be used temporarily to replace CFC's but may not be effective in the long term.

What mark would i get ?
1. Never ever be that specific with your statistics because it VARIES (-1 for poor info).
2. Here, don't forget that chlorine radicals aren't the only thing that can catalyse the photochemical depletion of ozone. Bromine radicals are actually even better at catalysing the photochemical depletion of ozone.
3. This part is poorly written and not very clear. CFCs tend to rise to the upper stratosphere where it can interact with ozone after decomposing to release chlorine free radicals. HFCs do not produce such radicals, even in the stratosphere and hence, have no ozone depletion potential. HCFCs act somewhat similarly to CFCs but tend to have less chlorine atoms per molecule and hence, less chlorine free radicals released resulting in lower ozone depletion potential.
4. This is incorrect, HFC are do not catalyse the photochemical depletion of ozone because it DOES NOT PRODUCE FREE RADICALS THAT CAN CATALYSE THE REACTION.
5. You should explicitly say that HCFCs and HFCs are highly potent greenhouse gases.
6. Again, very specific detail which if it isn't exactly 10%, you can lose marks.

From your response, there are some final touches that should be made. I high recommend to NEVER give extremely specific statistics such as "10% contribution" or "121 years". All sources will be different and so, always say something like "contributes to about 10% of all global warming" and "about 121 years". This gives you room for error.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
1. Never ever be that specific with your statistics because it VARIES (-1 for poor info).
2. Here, don't forget that chlorine radicals aren't the only thing that can catalyse the photochemical depletion of ozone. Bromine radicals are actually even better at catalysing the photochemical depletion of ozone.
3. This part is poorly written and not very clear. CFCs tend to rise to the upper stratosphere where it can interact with ozone after decomposing to release chlorine free radicals. HFCs do not produce such radicals, even in the stratosphere and hence, have no ozone depletion potential. HCFCs act somewhat similarly to CFCs but tend to have less chlorine atoms per molecule and hence, less chlorine free radicals released resulting in lower ozone depletion potential.
4. This is incorrect, HFC are do not catalyse the photochemical depletion of ozone because it DOES NOT PRODUCE FREE RADICALS THAT CAN CATALYSE THE REACTION.
5. You should explicitly say that HCFCs and HFCs are highly potent greenhouse gases.
6. Again, very specific detail which if it isn't exactly 10%, you can lose marks.

From your response, there are some final touches that should be made. I high recommend to NEVER give extremely specific statistics such as "10% contribution" or "121 years". All sources will be different and so, always say something like "contributes to about 10% of all global warming" and "about 121 years". This gives you room for error.

Thanks heaps for your feedback, i appreciate it :D so if i dont write those details/specifics will i get at least a 5/6 out of 7

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks heaps for your feedback, i appreciate it :D so if i dont write those details/specifics will i get at least a 5/6 out of 7
I didn't say you CAN'T write those specifics but don't say it IS this or IS that, you should say it's ABOUT this or ABOUT that.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
I didn't say you CAN'T write those specifics but don't say it IS this or IS that, you should say it's ABOUT this or ABOUT that.
Oh right, i'll take that into consideration, thanks heaps :D

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Which subjects?
I have chem, business studies, 2U maths this year

my rankings for chem: 1/20
business: 1/22

and maths im like 7/16 but I'm worried for maths especially, just been doing past papers

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You would get a good mark.

However, in the exam you will not have enough time to write all that above in such detail. If you did, then the 6/7 marks you gain here will be negated by the marks you lose elsewhere as a time consequence.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are rank 1, they cannot being your mark down (unless you are tied) but sorry, you're fucked for Maths...lol.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You would get a good mark.

However, in the exam you will not have enough time to write all that above in such detail. If you did, then the 6/7 marks you gain here will be negated by the marks you lose elsewhere as a time consequence.
Nah, I think there's enough time to write all that.

You should spend ~12 minutes on this question but hopefully, you will have extra time from the multiple choice.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
If you are rank 1, they cannot being your mark down (unless you are tied) but sorry, you're fucked for Maths...lol.
lol yeahh i know haha, i'll be doing 13 units so maths wont count. I use to love maths up until this year, my school decided to do 3 subjects a year and so we had to fit 2 years of maths into 1 year, we had double the amount of time but it was way to rushed, the gap between the ranks are small (2-4 marks)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Nah, I think there's enough time to write all that.

You should spend ~12 minutes on this question but hopefully, you will have extra time from the multiple choice.
Yeah m/c i can do in 8-9 minutes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)