How different is Preliminary Chemistry to HSC? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Harder or easier? More mathematical? Any comments will be helpful :)
Easier by a lot as chem hsc is more about roting stuff. In year 11 just chillax and only learn the concepts - don't bother memorising stuff (eg you can cram the memorising stuff and then in year 12 you'll have more memory space to store stuff) lol ok idk wtf I'm on about hahah, but overall hsc chem is easier so don't stress.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
HSC is rote-fest but there will be concepts that are really difficult to understand..

In terms of content, HSC is easier

In terms of questions/tests, HSC is harder (I don't think you can get away with everything memorized unless you can apply it correctly and logically)

This is my opinion

Last edited:

Thank_You

HSC
I failed PRELIMs just saying. You barely need anything from prelim, some but not a lot. Well seeing as I get HSC Chem, i'd say it's easier :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Lol yeah got like 50% in prelim exam^

HSC
HSC chem is easier to understand or if you don't you can rote learn. Calculation questions are not too bad.

The only problem is the weird/harsh marking criteria in the HSC exam itself and some schools.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
what topics does one need to know for year 12 chem? moles? redox equations? intermolecular forces? trends in the periodic table?

wishingstars

HSC
I think prelim chem and HSC chem are quite different so I'm not really going to make a guess on which is more difficult - I think everyone's going to have a different opinion on it. Year 12 chem definitely has a lot more memorising - it's crazy but if you enjoy the subject, it shouldn't matter all too much.

wishingstars

HSC
what topics does one need to know for year 12 chem? moles? redox equations? intermolecular forces? trends in the periodic table?
You will definitely need to have a solid knowledge of moles & redox reactions - these are going to be pivotal for HSC calculation questions. Intermolecular forces are also very important - so make sure to have a good grounding on those. As for trends, for just the core topics - remember the different types for year 11 (e.g. atomic radius, ionisation energy) but you won't have to know about them in too much detail unless you're doing chem of art as an option. You'll learn new trends in the core ACIDIC ENVIRONMENT but they're quite easy to pick up so don't worry too much about it. I think most of the knowledge you need from year 11 is going to be calculation based - so really have confidence in this area.

fatima96

HSC
Prelim was useless. Barely passed it, HSC is the bomb! Easy concepts, calcs may be a little harder but can also be quite repetitive

dragon658

HSC
Sorry to revive this ancient thread but in Chemistry, how much of the prelim course do I actually need? For instance do I need to know mole formulas and those calculations and all the equations and valencies? I'm about to start working from the textbook and going through all the modules again before I reach year 12, but if I don't have to then I won't haha.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Sorry to revive this ancient thread but in Chemistry, how much of the prelim course do I actually need? For instance do I need to know mole formulas and those calculations and all the equations and valencies? I'm about to start working from the textbook and going through all the modules again before I reach year 12, but if I don't have to then I won't haha.
Chemical equations, inter and intramolecular bonding, hydrocarbons, activation energy, catalysts, typically the whole water topic, mole calculations, etc

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Its pretty different. I didnt try and flunked prelim with like a 70% average, now im 2nd by like a percent or 2 in HSC, doing well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)