HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightweaver066

HSC
The HSC Chemistry Marathon is an open chain of questions between students. It works by answering a question then posting another question and allowing the cycle to repeat itself.

Rules:
- After answering a question, always provide a new one - this is what keeps the thread alive.
- Allocate a number of marks for any question that you post.
- Do not cheat, if you cannot answer a question, do not search how to answer the question but rather, allow other students to answer the question.
- No copyrighted questions (eg CSSA and Independent) should be posted.

Tips:
- It may help to write your answers on paper before typing them on this thread as it will mirror your exam.
- You may post more than one question.
- When possible, after questions have been answered, you can peer mark using the marking scheme.

EDIT:

This thread is an archive for the questions from older years.

Feel free to post in the marathon thread for the current HSC year about anything in this thread. Make sure to quote what you are inquiring about!

nightweaver066 said:
Hopefully people will participate. :)

Feel free to post long response questions.
I'm sure members here will help critique your response and give advice to help you improve.

Please post a new question after answering.

I'll start off:

Last edited by a moderator:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: HSC 2012 Chemistry Marathon

First question: 16g for a quarter of a mole, hence, molar mass is 64g

Only option D satisfies this --> answer is D.

I'm on my iPod so I can't make a good question.

Compare the penetrating power of alpha particles, beta particles and gamma rays.

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC

First question: 16g for a quarter of a mole, hence, molar mass is 64g

Only option D satisfies this --> answer is D.

I'm on my iPod so I can't make a good question.

Compare the penetrating power of alpha particles, beta particles and gamma rays.
Alpha particles can only travel a few cm in the air and can be stopped by a sheet of paper.

Beta particles can travel even further, up to 2m, and can be stopped by a sheet of aluminium.

Gamma rays are highly penetrating, able to travel long distances which require thick sheets of lead or concrete to stop or reduce them significantly.

i.e. in terms of penetrating power, Gamma rays > Beta particles > Alpha particles

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC

A- Citric acid

Analyse the relationship between the position of elements on the periodic table, and the acid-base behaviours of their oxides.

Dylanamali

HSC

Question:

Concentration of acetic acid in vinegar = 0.34 M

Calculate the percentage (w/v) of acetic acid in the vinegar.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

A- Citric acid

Analyse the relationship between the position of elements on the periodic table, and the acid-base behaviours of their oxides.
On the left side of the periodic table, oxides are basic and as moved across the periodic table, oxides tend to become more acidic with few neutral oxides such as CO until you reach the noble gases that do not form oxides.

nightweaver066

HSC

On the left side of the periodic table, oxides are basic and as moved across the periodic table, oxides tend to become more acidic with few neutral oxides such as CO until you reach the noble gases that do not form oxides.
Could include more.

Moving left to right across a period, we see a shift from basic oxides to amphoteric then to acidic oxides.

Moving down groups 1 and 2, we see increasing basicity of the oxides. Moving down groups 6 and 7, we see decreasing acidity of the oxides.

Noble gases do not form oxides.

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC

Question:

Concentration of acetic acid in vinegar = 0.34 M

Calculate the percentage (w/v) of acetic acid in the vinegar.
[acetic acid] = 0.34M = 0.34moles/litre
= (0.34 x (12.01 x 2 + 1.008 x 4+ 16 x 2))/litre
= 20.42g/litre
= 2% (g/ml) if you don't mind the units.

Qn:

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad

Could include more.

Moving left to right across a period, we see a shift from acidic oxides to amphoteric then to basic oxides.

Moving down groups 1 and 2, we see increasing basicity of the oxides. Moving down groups 6 and 7, we see decreasing acidity of the oxides.

Noble gases do not form oxides.
Also towards the top right of the non-metals (not including noble gases) there is increasing acidity of the oxides?

nightweaver066

HSC

Also towards the top right of the non-metals (not including noble gases) there is increasing acidity of the oxides?
I made a mistake in my original post.

Meant to say shift from acidic oxides to amphoteric then to basic oxides across a period.

This includes your claim that towards the top right of the non-metals, there is increasing acidity of the oxides.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Identify the standard conditions required to produce a table of reduction potentials based on galvanic cells constructed using a hydrogen electrode.
An electrochemical cell is produced using two half cells. One cell consists of a solution of Fe2+ and Fe3+ with an inert platinum electrode, the other cell consists of a copper electrode in a solution of Cu2+. Write equations for each half cell and calculate the expected standard cell potential.

nightweaver066

HSC

Identify the standard conditions required to produce a table of reduction potentials based on galvanic cells constructed using a hydrogen electrode.
An electrochemical cell is produced using two half cells. One cell consists of a solution of Fe2+ and Fe3+ with an inert platinum electrode, the other cell consists of a copper electrode in a solution of Cu2+. Write equations for each half cell and calculate the expected standard cell potential.
Standard conditions:
- 25 degrees celcius
- 1 atm
- Pure metals/liquids used
- 1 mol/L aqueous electrolytes used

Do my question above. :)

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Also everyone in this thread is welcome to PM me for Chemistry papers. I have a lot.

nightweaver066

HSC

Isn't it 1.11V?

(0.77V)-(-0.34)=1.11V
I already reversed the reduction potential to get the oxidation potential.

Then i add both the reduction and the oxidation potentials to get the cell potential.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I will just dot point this:

- Ethanol is the most used solvent because it has the ability to be a solvent for both polar and non-polar substances.
- The polar hydroxide functional group gives ethanol the ability to be miscible in polar substances.
- The non-polar alkyl part allows ethanol to be miscible in non-polar substances.
- Essentially, having the ability to be miscible in both polar and non-polar substances gives ethanol more effectiveness as a solvent.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I already reversed the reduction potential to get the oxidation potential.

Then i add both the reduction and the oxidation potentials to get the cell potential.
Ah, okay. I got that question from the assessment that I'm currently doing but I just wanted to check my answer (SECRET!).

I'm tired now, gonna go sleep.

Good night.

nightweaver066

HSC

I will just dot point this:

- Ethanol is the most used solvent because it has the ability to be a solvent for both polar and non-polar substances.
- The polar hydroxide functional group gives ethanol the ability to be miscible in polar substances.
- The non-polar alkyl part allows ethanol to be miscible in non-polar substances.
- Essentially, having the ability to be miscible in both polar and non-polar substances gives ethanol more effectiveness as a solvent.
Good answer. In a test, hopefully you'll draw a nice structural formula of ethanol showing both the hydroxide functional group and the alkyl chain.

Post a new questions please!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Thinking about this again, shouldn't the reduction potential of the copper be -0.34 since the reaction went the opposite direction as the one of the data sheet?

Hence, EMF=0.77--0.34=1.11V

OR

Is it always for any situation using the potential listed on the data sheet:
Ecell = Higher potential-Lower potential [negative is considered as lower than positive]

Higher potential=0.77
Lower potential=0.34
Ecell=0.77-0.34=0.43V

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC

Thinking about this again, shouldn't the reduction potential of the copper be -0.34 since the reaction went the opposite direction as the one of the data sheet?

Hence, EMF=0.77--0.34=1.11V
Notice how i wrote E(ox). That means i already had reversed the reduction potential given on the data sheet to obtain the oxidation potential.

If you look on your sheet, it tells you that the reduction potential is 0.34V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)