Trial Paper Question (1 Viewer)

HSC
After an accident radioactive iodine-131 and caesium-137 were released and increased in the atmosphere and rain water around the facility. So the question was asking one instrument that could be used to detect the presence of radioactive materials on the clothing of workers.

I put down photographic film but the answers say Geiger counter. Can someone explain why?

sy37

HSC
Photographic film isn't really an instrument

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
If it is just a sample answer, that is just ONE example of what is correct, there may be other examples.

If it merely wanted to detect the presence and not concentration, then photographic film should be fine?!

sharoooooo

HSC
Maybe they wanted an actual like mechanical device :/

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
photographic film only gives you a qualitative measurement whereas Geiger counters give you a quantitative measurement. These two isotopes are beta-emitters but the photographic film doesn't tell you that whereas Geiger does

And its already on the clothing so photographic film wont do much at that point

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If it is just a sample answer, that is just ONE example of what is correct, there may be other examples.

If it merely wanted to detect the presence and not concentration, then photographic film should be fine?!
Pretty sure instruments are things that measure something so photographic film doesn't really count.

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
After an accident radioactive iodine-131 and caesium-137 were released and increased in the atmosphere and rain water around the facility. So the question was asking one instrument that could be used to detect the presence of radioactive materials on the clothing of workers.

I put down photographic film but the answers say Geiger counter. Can someone explain why?
I haven't done chemistry in a while but doesn't photo film measure the amount of exposure to the radiation rather than the if there is any on the clothes? Exposure could be from somewhere else . The Geiger counter would allow us to actually check the clothes for the amount of radiation they have and if it's higher than normal? Not 100% sure but just my 2 cents.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Photographic film isn't really an instrument
^ this
and the post above this one.
Photographic film only indicates certain degree of exposure it does not give a quantitative measurement like a Geiger counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)