Past HSC question (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
This equation represents a common redox reaction.

Cr2O72–(aq) + 14H+(aq) + 6Fe2+(aq) → 2Cr3+(aq) + 6Fe3+(aq) + 7H2O(l)

What is the oxidising agent in the reaction?

How would I figure this out? I know that an oxidising agent is one that reduces but how do I write out the ionic equations to find out?

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
This equation represents a common redox reaction.

Cr2O72–(aq) + 14H+(aq) + 6Fe2+(aq) → 2Cr3+(aq) + 6Fe3+(aq) + 7H2O(l)

What is the oxidising agent in the reaction?

How would I figure this out? I know that an oxidising agent is one that reduces but how do I write out the ionic equations to find out?
So what the question is asking basically is : "which one gains the most electrons"
Therefore the answers H+ ?

sharoooooo

HSC
to figure it out, write the oxidation numbers for each compound. then compare the oxidation numbers on each sides and find then u can find the oxidising agent.

so... for this question, on the left side, H+ has an oxidation number of +1. but if we look on the right side and find 'H', it has an oxidation number of +4 (since O has an oxidation no. = -2. So -2 x 2= -4, thus H has ox. no. of +4)
therefore, the number has increased, which means it lost e-.
Cr changed from +7 to +3. i think Cr is reduced since ox.no. has decreased. So Cr has gained e-, so it has been reduced, so Cr is the oxidising agent..

not 100% sure but yep..thats what i would do :p

rand_althor

HSC
The redox reaction can be broken down into a reduction and oxidation reaction. From the data sheet, you can see that there is a reaction which involves Cr2O72- which produces Cr3+ and another involving Fe2+ which produces Fe3+. These reactions are:
Reduction: 2Cr2O72- +14H++6e^- <-> Cr3+ + 7H2O
Oxidation: Fe2+ <-> Fe3+ + e^-

Adding these reactions will give you the redox reaction. From the reduction reaction, you can clearly see that Cr2O72- is undergoing reduction, hence Cr2O72- is the oxidising agent.

Kaido

be.
HSC
When they ask for oxidising/reducing agent, this is always found on the left hand side of the equation.
H is always 1+, O is always 2-, (in HSC anyways)
So you can eliminate those immediately

Now oxidising agent is almost always the one undergoing reduction (a reduction in oxidation number e.g. from 3+ to 2+)
Vice versa

After this, its a matter of doing some simple addition and subtraction to figure out the oxidation states

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
No dude it's not always on the left they can trick you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)