Galvanic cell, identifying the anode and the cathode question help. (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
How do I identify which one is the anode and which one is the cathode in a galvanic cell like this?

rand_althor

HSC
The oxidation reaction occurs at the anode, and the reduction reaction occurs at the cathode. You've already identified that though, so do you mean something else?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I already know that Oxidation occurs at the Anode and Reduction occurs at the cathode but how would I know if Ni or Cu is being oxidised?

rand_althor

HSC
From the reactions you have written, you can see that Ni is losing electrons, thus it is being oxidised. You can also see this from how it's oxidation state increases from 0 to 2+.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Ni2+ has a reduction potential of -0.24 which is lower than the 0.52 of cu+. So nickel metal is the anode and copper is the cathode.

sharoooooo

HSC
Turn over your periodic table and look at the standard potential table at the back.
The electrode which is higher/closest to the top will be oxidised (which is the anode; since anode = oxidation=loss of electrons)
In this case, Ni is anode. (because Ni is closer to the top than Cu)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Turn over your periodic table and look at the standard potential table at the back.
The electrode which is higher/closest to the top will be oxidised (which is the anode; since anode = oxidation=loss of electrons)
In this case, Ni is anode. (because Ni is closer to the top than Cu)
Okay, so the higher to the top are the electrodes being oxidised, thanks brah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)