Ethanol state sign (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
Combustion of Ethanol: Is ethanol a liquid or gas here?

Apparently from C1 to C5 Hydrocarbons are all gases at room temperature. So does that mean when i write the equation of combustion of ethanol it would be a gas?

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Apparently from C1 to C5 Hydrocarbons are all gases at room temperature. So does that mean when i write the equation of combustion of ethanol it would be a gas?
When they're referring to hydrocarbons in this context I believe they're referring to alkanes and alkenes and that is why for that bromine water experiment we use cycloalkenes and cylcloalkanes; they are liquid at room temperature and more stable than their linear counterparts

It's aqueous

Drsoccerball

HSC

Ethanol is not a hydrocarbon. It is liquid at room temperature

Kaido

be.
HSC
The combustion of ethanol is assumed to occur in cars (i.e. as a fuel blend)
Therefore it is assumed to be aq, but I dont believe you will be penalised if you write (l)

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
When they're referring to hydrocarbons in this context I believe they're referring to alkanes and alkenes and that is why for that bromine water experiment we use cycloalkenes and cylcloalkanes; they are liquid at room temperature and more stable than their linear counterparts

It's aqueous
The combustion of ethanol is assumed to occur in cars (i.e. as a fuel blend)
Therefore it is assumed to be aq, but I dont believe you will be penalised if you write (l)
wat

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
You still put the state as liquid, otherwise the marker is going to think your using aqueous ethanol mixture as a fuel.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
You'll get a mark deducted for putting (aq) in a combustion reaction if it asks for it. Or 2 if it's worth 2 marks.
Oops my bad

I didn't read it for combustion

Yeah for combustion it's definitely liquid but for other reactions such as hydration of ethylene you can put it as aqueous

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Oops my bad

I didn't read it for combustion

Yeah for combustion it's definitely liquid but for other reactions such as hydration of ethylene you can put it as aqueous
You need to react steam with ethene in a hydration reaction, but the boiling point of ethanol is lower than water, so it should be in a gaseous state aswell.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)