HSC 2016 Chemistry Marathon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
The HSC Chemistry Marathon is an open chain of questions between students. It works by answering a question then posting another question and allowing the cycle to repeat itself.

Rules:
- After answering a question, always provide a new one - this is what keeps the thread alive.
- Allocate a number of marks for any question that you post.
- Do not cheat, if you cannot answer a question, do not search how to answer the question but rather, allow other students to answer the question.
- No copyrighted questions (eg CSSA and Independent) should be posted.

Tips:
- It may help to write your answers on paper before typing them on this thread as it will mirror your exam.
- You may post more than one question.
- When possible, after questions have been answered, you can peer mark using the marking scheme.

leehuan

HSC
Re: HSC Chemistry Marathon 2016

I'll roll off chemistry with an easy question as well. :)

Explain why the alkene series is generally more chemically reactive than the alkane series. (3)

Ekman

HSC

Great initiative leehuan! However the marathon will most likely be inactive till next year, since there are very few 2016ers on bos right now

RachelGreen

HSC

Explain why the alkene series is generally more chemically reactive than the alkane series. (3)[/QUOTE]

Alkene series are generally more reactive than alkanes are due to its functional group, the double bond. The double bond in alkenes are a site of high electron density, therefore, substances are more likely to react with the double bond.

I feel like my answer is too short????

Here's a question:
Compare the type of reactions that occur to produce polyethylene and cellulose. Include relevant formulae equations to assist your answer. (5)

leehuan

HSC

Great initiative leehuan! However the marathon will most likely be inactive till next year, since there are very few 2016ers on bos right now
Thanks! True that though, so I'll answer a few questions every now and then to promote activity as well as possible. Maybe one every 2-3 days when there isn't a previous answer. Later on I'll just let the thread flow.

Explain why the alkene series is generally more chemically reactive than the alkane series. (3)

Alkene series are generally more reactive than alkanes are due to its functional group, the double bond. The double bond in alkenes are a site of high electron density, therefore, substances are more likely to react with the double bond.

I feel like my answer is too short????

Here's a question:
Compare the type of reactions that occur to produce polyethylene and cellulose. Include relevant formulae equations to assist your answer. (5)
Although I didn't use the word "compare" or "contrast", it helps to state that alkanes only have single bonds within the hydrocarbon chain structure, which are typically chemically unreactive. The third mark was a bit hidden, and required you to justify the process - we can say that the double bond is easily opened up through interaction with other molecules, for example, through addition reactions or polymerisation. Alternatively, use the bromine water practical equations (if you have done so).
Hexane: C6H14(l) + HOBr(l) -(UV)-> C6H12BrOH(l) + H2(g)
1-hexene: C6H12(l) + HOBr(l) -> C6H12BrOH(l)
This is acceptable as the necessity of UV to force a substitution reaction is obviously more energy consuming than the simple addition reaction.

Maybe 1/3, but keep trying!

leehuan

HSC

Here's a question:
(Sometimes I do over-answer, and some information may be unnecessary.)

Polyethylene is regarded as an addition polymer, in which monomer units (in this case, ethylene) continuously join together through the process of addition polymerisation. Addition polymerisation of ethylene can occur through the use of a peroxide initiator molecule, or the Ziegler-Natta process. In the peroxide initiator method, a peroxide molecule is severed [R-O-O-R -> 2 R-O] to become a radical and will attack an ethylene monomer unit. This activates the process [R-O + CH2=CH2 -> R-O-CH2-CH2] and the chain propagates with further monomer units being attacked. The process can be terminated when another radical joins on the chain, thus producing polyethylene. Specifically, the peroxide initiator method (achieved at significantly high temperatures and pressures) produces LDPE with extensive side branching, thus limited dispersion forces, whereas the Ziegler-Natta process (achieved at moderate temperatures and pressures) produces HDPE with limited side branching, thus significant dispersion forces, hence polyethylene can be a hard or flexible polymer.
The overall equation is: n CH2=CH2 -> -(-CH2-CH2-)n-

By contrast, cellulose is classified as a condensation polymer, through which monomer units (in this case, beta-glucose) ultimately join to form cellulose through condensation polymerisation. This process involves the expulsion of a small molecule (in this case, water) during the polymerisation process. Of note is the alternating hydroxyl (-OH) groups in the glucose monomers, and the process begins through two glucose monomers joining on carbons 1 and 4 to form a beta maltose dimer [2 C6H12O6 -> C12H22O11 + H2O]. These maltose dimers will then join together on carbons 1 and 4 again, continuously such that the chain will propagate. The result is the linear, rigid polymer cellulose.
The overall equation is: n C6H12O6 -> -(-C6H10O5-)n- + (n-1) H2O

Ambility

HSC

Explain why ethanol has extensive uses as a solvent in various chemical industries. (4)
Ethanol as a molecule has both polar and non-polar ends which allows it to dissolve polar and non-polar substances. The OH functional group on ethanol is very polar as oxygen is very electronegative. Furthermore, the hydrogen atom can from strong hydrogen bonds with other molecules. This makes ethanol a useful solvent for polar substances. The other end of the ethanol molecule consists of non-polar bonds between carbon and hydrogen. This makes ethanol a useful solvent for non-polar substances.

Finally, ethanol can be readily supplied and produced in bulk from hydration of ethylene or fermentation of glucose which increases the availability of ethanol in chemical industries as a solvent.

Next question: Outline the three major steps in the polymerisation of ethylene.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

Assuming this is for 3 marks:

The monomer of ethylene undergoes three main steps during the process of polymerisation in order to produce the polymer polyethylene.
Initiation
An initiator molecule, such as benzyl peroxide, is added to the monomer of ethylene. The peroxide's one free radical reacts with the ethylene, breaking the double bond and allowing it to attach itself to the bonding site, creating an ethylene-initiator radical.
Propagation
The ethylene-initiator radical then reacts with another ethylene monomer, opening another bonding site and allowing for the monomer to attach. This process repeats itself, allowing for the chain of the polymer to get longer.
Termination
This is where the reacting process stops, when two similar chains collide and the two radical's react with each other, completing the reaction and terminating the sequence. Termination is a random process and can occur at any time for different reactions

Also, this process of polymerisation of ethylene produces the polyethylene, however the incorporation of a catalyst (such as titanium trialkylaluminium) in the process produces straight, rigid chains called high-density polyethylene, as opposed to the regular branched structure known as low-density polyethylene.

Next question: Discuss the need for an alternative source of energy and fuel in the future, with key references to the current situation in the petrochemical industry [6 marks]

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Ethanol as a molecule has both polar and non-polar ends which allows it to dissolve polar and non-polar substances. The OH functional group on ethanol is very polar as oxygen is very electronegative. Furthermore, the hydrogen atom can from strong hydrogen bonds with other molecules. This makes ethanol a useful solvent for polar substances. The other end of the ethanol molecule consists of non-polar bonds between carbon and hydrogen. This makes ethanol a useful solvent for non-polar substances.

Finally, ethanol can be readily supplied and produced in bulk from hydration of ethylene or fermentation of glucose which increases the availability of ethanol in chemical industries as a solvent.

3 or maybe 4/4, mainly cause you only referred to one intermolecular force (hydrogen bonding). You should relate the non-polar bonds to interaction with molecules such as say cyclohexene through dispersion forces, and whilst the statement that oxygen is electronegative may be able to suffice (in fact, quite likely so), I personally would relate to dipole-dipole interactions.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

I thought i remembered reading from my textbook that they chuck in a catalyst and it prevents backbiting thus producing HDPE but it still follows the same procedure (with differences in temperatures and pressures). Correct me if I'm wrong, it was a while ago

Ambility

HSC

3 or maybe 4/4, mainly cause you only referred to one intermolecular force (hydrogen bonding). You should relate the non-polar bonds to interaction with molecules such as say cyclohexene through dispersion forces, and whilst the statement that oxygen is electronegative may be able to suffice (in fact, quite likely so), I personally would relate to dipole-dipole interactions.

Regarding LDPE/HDPE, this is what my textbook (conquering chemistry) says:

In both these processes the initiator of catalyst activates an ethylene molecule by attaching to it. An ordinary ethylene molecule then attaches to this, forming a new activated species. Polymerisation continues by ethylene molecules one after the other adding to the growing chain. Finally the process stops by two such activated chains colliding with each other; they either join together to form a stable polymer molecule or they exchange a hydrogen atom to form two stable molecules.

Ambility

HSC

Assuming this is for 3 marks:

The monomer of ethylene undergoes three main steps during the process of polymerisation in order to produce the polymer polyethylene.
Initiation
An initiator molecule, such as benzyl peroxide, is added to the monomer of ethylene. The peroxide's one free radical reacts with the ethylene, breaking the double bond and allowing it to attach itself to the bonding site, creating an ethylene-initiator radical.
Propagation
The ethylene-initiator radical then reacts with another ethylene monomer, opening another bonding site and allowing for the monomer to attach. This process repeats itself, allowing for the chain of the polymer to get longer.
Termination
This is where the reacting process stops, when two similar chains collide and the two radical's react with each other, completing the reaction and terminating the sequence. Termination is a random process and can occur at any time for different reactions

Also, this process of polymerisation of ethylene produces the polyethylene, however the incorporation of a catalyst (such as titanium trialkylaluminium) in the process produces straight, rigid chains called high-density polyethylene, as opposed to the regular branched structure known as low-density polyethylene.

Next question: Discuss the need for an alternative source of energy and fuel in the future, with key references to the current situation in the petrochemical industry [6 marks]
I'm sure that would be sufficient for 3/3. The marking guidelines from the test this question came form says 1/2 mark for naming each process, 1/2 mark for explaining each process.

leehuan

HSC

The peroxide initiator should not be regarded as a "catalyst" in the production of LDPE. The TiCl3-Triaklylaluminium surface, used in the Ziegler Natta process for HDPE production, however, is. Honestly, Conquering Chemistry explains things so much more clearly than Jacaranda. The correction I need to make is that the initiation-propagation-termination process still holds true. The only difference is whether the term initiator or catalyst should be coined.

Which is actually really disappointing, because there was a question on it in the HSC exam on this and I garbled about the three processes, but I referred it to LDPE only. I only made a brief reference to HDPE.

relativity1

HSC

Here's a question
Relate the structure, properties and uses of polyvinyl chloride and polystyrene. (4 marks)

RachelGreen

HSC

Polyvinyl chloride is used in raincoats and shower curtains because PVC is water-resistant due to its structure containing many non-polar C-C & C-H bond. Its water-resistant nature combined with its rigid and toughness (as a result of chain stiffening) is used in water pipes. In addition, these water pipes must be used underground because PVC has a C-Cl bond that is not stable in sunlight.

Polystyrene is a clear amorphous polymer that exhibits the property chain stiffening that makes the substance rigid/stiff, and has god electrical insulation properties. As a result, it is used as an insulation for electrical wires. The high stiffness makes the polymer suitable for rigid items such as car battery cases, handles for screwdrivers etc.

Next question:
Tincture of iodine is an antiseptic often found in medical kits. It is a solution of iodine in ethanol. Ethanol is used as the solvent as iodine is relatively insoluble in water. When an aqueous solution of iodine is required, iodine ions are added to iodine to form the triiodide ion which is more soluble in water.

(a) Write an equation for the reaction above for the solution of iodine
(b) Draw a labelled diagram to explain the solubility of iodine in ethanol.
(c) Explain why the triiodide ion is more soluble in water than is iodine.

leehuan

HSC

Polyvinyl chloride is used in raincoats and shower curtains because PVC is water-resistant due to its structure containing many non-polar C-C & C-H bond. Its water-resistant nature combined with its rigid and toughness (as a result of chain stiffening) is used in water pipes. In addition, these water pipes must be used underground because PVC has a C-Cl bond that is not stable in sunlight.

Polystyrene is a clear amorphous polymer that exhibits the property chain stiffening that makes the substance rigid/stiff, and has god electrical insulation properties. As a result, it is used as an insulation for electrical wires. The high stiffness makes the polymer suitable for rigid items such as car battery cases, handles for screwdrivers etc.
Yep, 4/4. Also nice question. If you want though, the chain stiffening can be related to the hexagonal structure of the benzene ring in PS.

Ambility

HSC

Next question:
Tincture of iodine is an antiseptic often found in medical kits. It is a solution of iodine in ethanol. Ethanol is used as the solvent as iodine is relatively insoluble in water. When an aqueous solution of iodine is required, iodine ions are added to iodine to form the triiodide ion which is more soluble in water.

(a) Write an equation for the reaction above for the solution of iodine
(b) Draw a labelled diagram to explain the solubility of iodine in ethanol.
(c) Explain why the triiodide ion is more soluble in water than is iodine.
Is this question from the production of materials module?

leehuan

HSC

Is this question from the production of materials module?
Solubility in ethanol is by default Production of Materials.

Part c) is interesting, however; it draws on knowledge from the preliminary course.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

leehuan

HSC

I personally do not agree that this is a 6 mark question. You are asking about only the situation of the world's fuel supplies, and not actually explicitly relating it to ethanol and it's potentials. The need for a new fuel source altogether is a small dot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)