Can I still get a band 5 in Chem? (post trails) (1 Viewer)

goofgafflaugh123

HSC
I am on around 65% as my assessment mark so far and am ranked about 10/18 in my class. My chemistry cohort is strong I think and the top 5 people got 80-90% in the trials (CSSA). I got 55% and was a bit below average. Can I still obtain a band 5 if I do well in HSC, would I need to get over 90%? I don't understand how alignment or moderation works so I'm not really sure :/

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can, but realistically you will struggle a lot-not saying you won't get over 90%, but that requires some miraculous effort-which unless you are giving it your 150% dedication, effort and time and understanding why you have been performing so poorly in trials-is a goal that is difficult to attain, good goal to aim for, but be prepare to miss-and have a plan B-after all not the end of the world if you don't get band 5

goofgafflaugh123

HSC
Yeah I understand that, so does that mean I need over 90% to get a band 5? And is that with scaling or without scaling?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I understand that, so does that mean I need over 90% to get a band 5? And is that with scaling or without scaling?
It is not that simple, it depends on how close your school assessment correlates with HSC standard and scaling is a complex business of which I have not much interest in because I am an advocate for concentrating your energy onto making results better rather than wasting time pondering about what ifs when you could have just been using that time studying. It is pretty hard to get 90% without scaling (because that would probably equate to mid 90s in chemistry) for external depending on scaling. I really advise you to stop worrying/thinking/wondering and just get studying.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Running regression analysis on HSC Chemistry for the last 3 years -- you need 62-65 raw to achieve an exam mark of 80 in the last 3 years.

So, take that as you will, you need to pick up a couple of marks from now until the HSC (plenty of time!) but keep in mind that HSC Chemistry is really harshly marked. So, maybe aim a little higher if you are marking yourself.

kashkow

HSC
Running regression analysis on HSC Chemistry for the last 3 years -- you need 62-65 raw to achieve an exam mark of 80 in the last 3 years.

So, take that as you will, you need to pick up a couple of marks from now until the HSC (plenty of time!) but keep in mind that HSC Chemistry is really harshly marked. So, maybe aim a little higher if you are marking yourself.
Hi there Mr. Fizzy_Cyst,

I've got an inquiry on what this means? I'm pretty sure I've heard this term used before when talking about chem and phys HSC marking but I'm not really sure what it means. Don't they have to follow the marking rubric that they are given when marking the papers? I just want to know so that I know how to write my answers to attain full marks in the HSC.

Thanks very much! Much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)