Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: HSC 2017 Chemistry Marathon

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Re: HSC Chemistry Marathon 2017

Quote Originally Posted by trecex1 View Post
    Assess the use of polystyrene and a named biopolymer in terms of their properties, with references to the statements made in this blog.
    Polystyrene is a versatile plastic used to make wide variety of consumer products such as tool handles an plastic furniture. As a hard, solid plastic, it is often used in products that require clarity, such as food packaging and laboratory ware. When combined with various colorants, additives or other plastics, polystyrene is used to make appliances, electronics, automobile parts, toys, gardening pots and equipment and more.

Biopol is a copolymer made up of the monomers PHB (cbbs writing full name) and PHV. The organism used to to synthesise the material is alcaigenes eutrohpus. Since biopol is biodegradable, it only takes 2 years to decompose back into natural components, unlike polyethlyene polyethylene and other petroleum derived plastics; it can be broken down bacteria into carbon dioxide and so will help to reduce levels of rubbish in landfills. It can be made into disposable containers for shampoo, cosmetics, milk bottles (it is non-toxic, insoluble, high tensile strength) and is biocompatible, meaning it is not rejected by the body’s immune system and so can be used safely by many organisms, thus has many medical applications. (ex biocompatible stiches that are left to dissolve/absorbed by the body) hence a renewable resource.

However Biopol is currently very expensive, and currently the demand is not high enough for it to be economically viable. The use of GM bacteria in the production process raises issues of an ethical nature leading to concerns about the effects of GM bacteria on the environment such as if they escape from cultures.

Therefore the use of long-lasting for short lived applications can cause problems for the preservation of living systems in which Biopol is expensive and GM bacteria use to develop it is considered unethical.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Question: Identify ONE radioisotope used in the fields of medicine AND industry and explain their use in terms of properties. (6 MARKS)

Now please continue this as we need to prep for our half yearlies

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Question: Identify ONE radioisotope used in the fields of medicine AND industry and explain their use in terms of properties. (6 MARKS)

Now please continue this as we need to prep for our half yearlies
    Mate i'll give u a tip. Ask questions that you don't know the answers to. No one enjoys answering the bullshitty rote learning 6-7 markers. For these you just pre-prepare responses and regurgitate in the exam. In the marathon ask questions like calculations or harder 1-4 markers and people will be more inclined to answer, me included.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinked View Post
    Mate i'll give u a tip. Ask questions that you don't know the answers to. No one enjoys answering the bullshitty rote learning 6-7 markers. For these you just pre-prepare responses and regurgitate in the exam. In the marathon ask questions like calculations or harder 1-4 markers and people will be more inclined to answer, me included.
    idk if u are trying to insult me....or a serious recommendation....

HSC

Both
    pikachu975 likes this.
    I am rather fond of a sizeable Gluteus Maximus and I am incapable of uttering a falsehood

Quote Originally Posted by Carrotsticks View Post
    I too enjoy sliding up and down smooth vertical poles and creating lots of tension.

HSC

Dead serious. I wanna participate but fuck me you ask boring questions. We don't pick chemistry because we like fluffy 6-7 markers.
    pikachu975 likes this.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

HSC

Re: HSC 2017 Chemistry Marathon

can someone explain how oxidation states are used to identify which reaction is undergoing oxidation and reduction?
    HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies
    Atar goal: 90+
    HSC goal: Band 6 all subjects boiii

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information