Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: HSC 2017 Chemistry Marathon

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

HSC 2017 Chemistry Marathon

Welcome to the HSC chemistry marathon

This thread is an open chain of questions between students. It works by answering a question then posting another question and allowing the cycle to repeat itself as this is used to test others!

Just some simple rules:
    - Answer the question asked previously, before posting a new question.
    - After you have answered a question, post another question to keep the thread alive (or else I have to come in and post a new question)
    - try to allocate a number of marks for any question that you post.

Tips:
    - It may help to write your answers on paper before typing them on this thread as it will mirror your exam.
    - You may post more than one question.
    - When possible, after questions have been answered, you can peer mark using the marking scheme.

Source: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...on-2016-a.html

I will start off:
    Write an equation for the fermentation of glucose and describe the optimal conditions under which fermentation is promoted (3 marks)

For future reference, please refrain from using this thread for help. Instead I'd suggest you make your own individual thread in the Chemistry Section of this forum if you want help

Also, please refrain from derailing this thread. If you want to talk about a specific topic or whatever to someone else, please do it via PM or have the conversation somewhere else as we want the marathon running smoothly
    Last edited by eyeseeyou; 30 Sep 2016 at 11:03 PM.

HSC

Re: HSC Chemistry Marathon 2017

May someone help me with this question and explain it thoroughly to me? Thank you
    1. Explain how the structure and properties of polyethylene and poly(vinylchloride) relate to the way each is used.
    2. The structure of a commercially significant monomer is shown below. (Sorry im going to have to explain it since i need to identify the name of this monomer and can't just search it up and post a picture)
    The strucutre is H2C=CH- hexagonal shape attached to the single bond of CH
    a) Identify the common name of the monomer.
    B) the uses of polymers are dependent on their properties. Discuss this statement with reference to a polymer made from one of the above monomers.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflek View Post
    May someone help me with this question and explain it thoroughly to me? Thank you
    1. Explain how the structure and properties of polyethylene and poly(vinylchloride) relate to the way each is used.
    2. The structure of a commercially significant monomer is shown below. (Sorry im going to have to explain it since i need to identify the name of this monomer and can't just search it up and post a picture)
    The strucutre is H2C=CH- hexagonal shape attached to the single bond of CH
    a) Identify the common name of the monomer.
    B) the uses of polymers are dependent on their properties. Discuss this statement with reference to a polymer made from one of the above monomers.
    For the 2nd question, i think its styrene but i just dont understand what the hexagonal shape there is for? Like what is it

Executive Member
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflek View Post
    For the 2nd question, i think its styrene but i just dont understand what the hexagonal shape there is for? Like what is it
    It's a phenyl group. C6H5

It is NOT Benzene. It is Benzene minus a hydrogen.
    Last edited by Fizzy_Cyst; 26 Sep 2016 at 9:19 PM.
    jathu123 likes this.
    Visit My Website | Like My Facebook Page | Need HSC Physics Tutoring?

HSC Physics 2018 - Few spots remaining
    Preliminary Physics / Chemistry 2018 - Taking enrolments

HSC

https://www.google.com.au/search?esp...QT4Yl-fiRgM%3A
    Yeah this is it. Same structure. But what on earth is with this benzene like i dont get it. I just finished year 11 and doing some yr 12 stuff in the holiday to prepare myself so yeah. So the name is styrene i guess?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    I will start off:
    Write an equation for the fermentation of glucose and describe the optimal conditions under which fermentation is promoted (3 marks)
    ^

HSC

Welcome to the HSC chemistry marathon
    This thread can be used to ask for help or test others!
    Just some simple rules:
    - Answer the question asked previously, before posting a new question.
    - After you have answered a question, post another question to keep the thread alive.

I will start off:
    The fermentation of glucose involves the breaking down of glucose into ethanol and carbon dioxide by microbial enzyme action, especially that of yeast.
    Equation:
    glucose -> ethanol + carbon dioxide gas
    C6H12O6 (aq) -> 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g)
    The optimal conditions under which fermentation is promoted are: the glucose being in aqueous state (may be in mashed grain or fruit form), an anaerobic environment, a temperature of approximately 37 degrees celsius, and the presence of yeast cultures which contain the enzymes required to catalyse the reaction.

Next question:
    [BOS 2009 Q19]
    Outline the chemical and physical processes involved in the production of ONE of the following from a natural raw material. Include relevant chemical equations in your answer. (6 marks)

- a polyethylene bottle
    - a polyvinyl chloride pipe
    - a polystyrene cup
    Last edited by Incandescence; 28 Sep 2016 at 6:04 PM.
    eyeseeyou likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Incandescence View Post
    The fermentation of glucose involves the breaking down of glucose into ethanol and carbon dioxide by microbial enzyme action, especially that of yeast.
    Equation:
    glucose -> ethanol + carbon dioxide gas
    C6H12O6 (aq) -> 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g)
    The optimal conditions under which fermentation is promoted are: the glucose being in aqueous state (may be in mashed grain or fruit form), an anaerobic environment, a temperature of approximately 37 degrees, and the presence of yeast cultures which contain the enzymes required to catalyse the reaction.

Next question:
    [BOS 2009 Q19]
    Outline the chemical and physical processes involved in the production of ONE of the following from a natural raw material. Include relevant chemical equations in your answer. (6 marks)

- a polyethylene bottle
    - a polyvinyl chloride pipe
    - a polystyrene cup

eyeseeyou likes this.
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

HSC

Identify and Describe the chemical processes of converting large hydrocarbons in crude oil to lower molecular weight hydrocarbons such as ethene (4 marks), including relevant equations
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    Identify and Describe the chemical processes of converting large hydrocarbons in crude oil to lower molecular weight hydrocarbons such as ethene (4 marks), including relevant equations
    One of the methods used to convert large hydrocarbons in crude oil to lower molecular weight hydrocarbons such as ethene is Thermal cracking where a mixture of hydrocarbons and steam is passed through heated coils where it is done typically at 750-900 degrees as the high temperatrue is needed to break the covalent bond. Furthermore there is an absence of air which prevents combustion of hydrogen and the mix of products obtained are shorrter alkanes and small alkenes.

The first step in thermal cracking is Initiation where free radicals produced when hydrocarbons are split by high temperatures. The second step is propagation where free radicals breaks into smaller radicals and produce ethene. The third step is termination where remaining free radicals react with each other to reform hydrocarbons

C10H22(g)--->C6H14(g)+2C2H4(g)

(someone plz tell me if I've done something wrong)

Question:

Discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry (5 MARKS)

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

One of the methods used to convert large hydrocarbons in crude oil to lower molecular weight hydrocarbons such as ethene is Thermal cracking where a mixture of hydrocarbons and steam is passed through heated coils where it is done typically at 750-900 degrees as the high temperatrue is needed to break the covalent bond. Furthermore there is an absence of air which prevents combustion of hydrogen and the mix of products obtained are shorrter alkanes and small alkenes.

The first step in thermal cracking is Initiation where free radicals produced when hydrocarbons are split by high temperatures. The second step is propagation where free radicals breaks into smaller radicals and produce ethene. The third step is termination where remaining free radicals react with each other to reform hydrocarbons

Question:

Discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry (5 MARKS)
    Also do I have to explain the chemical equation I put in my response?

HSC
    N/A

Good luck everyone!

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    Good luck everyone!
    What?

HSC
    N/A

What?
    For the 2017 HSC

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    For the 2017 HSC
    lol thanks

Question:

I'd appreciate if someone answered this

Cadet
    HSC

lol thanks

I'd appreciate if someone answered this
    There is an overwhelming need for alternative sources that are presently derived from the petrochemical industry (e.g. Currently crude oil)
    - This is because crude oil is a fossil fuel, and is hence a non-renewable resource. Based on current usage stats, crude oil stocks could be used up in several decades.
    - The increasing cost of crude oil is also another factor. As it becomes more scarce, prices will increase.
    - current processes to product materials from crude oil are environmentally damaging and cause large emissions of greenhouse gas, which may lead to climate change
    - Most petroleum-derived polymers are currently non-biodegrable, which may lead to large waste disposal problem, as well as pollution of waterways and natural ecosystems thus as a result, the use of alternative polymers derived from alternate, natural sources, biodegrable polymers can alleviate these detrimental enviromental impact
    - Furthermore, alternatives are largely uneconomical currently and until they become financially feasible, it cannot effectively replace crude oil.

[NEXT QUESTION]:
    Compare and contrast addition polymerisation and condensation polymerisation reactions, by providing an example for each reaction as well as comparing the monomers used. Provide diagramS. [6]

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGreen View Post
    There is an overwhelming need for alternative sources that are presently derived from the petrochemical industry (e.g. Currently crude oil)
    - This is because crude oil is a fossil fuel, and is hence a non-renewable resource. Based on current usage stats, crude oil stocks could be used up in several decades.
    - The increasing cost of crude oil is also another factor. As it becomes more scarce, prices will increase.
    - current processes to product materials from crude oil are environmentally damaging and cause large emissions of greenhouse gas, which may lead to climate change
    - Most petroleum-derived polymers are currently non-biodegrable, which may lead to large waste disposal problem, as well as pollution of waterways and natural ecosystems thus as a result, the use of alternative polymers derived from alternate, natural sources, biodegrable polymers can alleviate these detrimental enviromental impact
    - Furthermore, alternatives are largely uneconomical currently and until they become financially feasible, it cannot effectively replace crude oil.

[NEXT QUESTION]:
    Compare and contrast addition polymerisation and condensation polymerisation reactions, by providing an example for each reaction as well as comparing the monomers used. Provide diagramS. [6]
    The process of forming polymers is known as polymerization where there are two types: addition and condensation. Addition polymers are formed by chemically joining many monomers together without any by-product. The double bonds are broken to allow the addition of more monomers. Condensation polymers on the other hand are when polymerization occurs with many natural polymers (e.g. Cellulose, Starch, wool, silk, hair...). Condensation polymers form when monomers chemically combine by eliminating a small molecule (usually water)

I can't really be bothered providing a diagram atm soz

Question:
    Describe how ONE named biopolymer is made AND explain its usefulness in term of it properties. (5 MARKS)

HSC

Chemistry HSC extended responses.

Are you just copy pasting questions from here lol
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Chemistry HSC extended responses.

Are you just copy pasting questions from here lol
    Yes because coming up with questions take too long for me to think of a question and the mark allocation/marking criteria

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

The process of forming polymers is known as polymerization where there are two types: addition and condensation. Addition polymers are formed by chemically joining many monomers together without any by-product. The double bonds are broken to allow the addition of more monomers. Condensation polymers on the other hand are when polymerization occurs with many natural polymers (e.g. Cellulose, Starch, wool, silk, hair...). Condensation polymers form when monomers chemically combine by eliminating a small molecule (usually water)

Question:
    Describe how ONE named biopolymer is made AND explain its usefulness in term of it properties. (5 MARKS)
    BUMP

HSC

Question:
    You would get maybe 3 marks max for that response.

And that biopolymer question really is not hard when you have access to the internet while constructing a response.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

New question (5 marks)

The following extract was taken from a blog about environmental issues.
    "...the use of long-lasting for short lived applications can cause problems for the preservation of living systems..Plastic debris has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities."

Assess the use of polystyrene and a named biopolymer in terms of their properties, with references to the statements made in this blog.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by trecex1 View Post
    You would get maybe 3 marks max for that response.

And that biopolymer question really is not hard when you have access to the internet while constructing a response.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

New question (5 marks)

The following extract was taken from a blog about environmental issues.
    "...the use of long-lasting for short lived applications can cause problems for the preservation of living systems..Plastic debris has a costly impact on waste management for municipalities."

Assess the use of polystyrene and a named biopolymer in terms of their properties, with references to the statements made in this blog.
    Could you please at least answer it, or else it's going to defeat the purpose of the marathon

HSC

Could you please at least answer it, or else it's going to defeat the purpose of the marathon
    lol relax be patient

Only a few people have learnt ahead for the HSC 2017 so not many people can answer it so it's up to those few people or the 2016 HSC people

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    lol relax be patient

Only a few people have learnt ahead for the HSC 2017 so not many people can answer it so it's up to those few people or the 2016 HSC people
    No he said "the biopolymer question isn't really hard" hence he skipped it

HSC

No he said "the biopolymer question isn't really hard" hence he skipped it
    At this rate you aren't gonna finish the whole course in these 2 week holidays rip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information