Help-marking in chemistry? (1 Viewer)

shumphrey

HSC
i need help on what to do in regards to my chemistry teacher, my teacher seems to mark me down for stuff that isn't chemistry e.g.-

-lost marks because my writing is to small, even though every other kid in my class can read it and say its neat (lost 4 marks in one test 3 in another)

-lost marks because my diagram was to small, filled whole space available for the diagram (lost 1 mark in 2 separate tests)

-lost marks for punctuation/spelling, spelled Bunsen burner as Bunsen Burner (lost 1 mark for the capital letter)

I seem to be the only kid in the class losing marks for this stuff, now I'm in my HSC year I do not want it fucking with atar. Should I take future assessments to my teacher for remarking (she is somewhat patronizing about remarking though) or should i take them to bostes for remarking.

thanks

Last edited:

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
It is clear that your teacher has something against you. These are unacceptable and illogical reasoning for losing marks.

1. Get at least 2 other teachers to inspect your handwriting with him in the same room.

2. Are all objects in the diagram distinguishable?

3. This is unreasonably pedantic. Although attention to detail is important, the teacher shouldn't be focusing this skill on punctuation, it should focused on the chemistry concepts and experiments instead.

You need to get back these marks and question him on each mark lost. Talk to him; if he evades confrontation, then you need more power from your classmates, other teachers, or your parents (as last resort). I have a feeling he'll dismiss you and ignore you as he will not be able to logically explain his marking decisions.

Ask him for a re-mark and if it's useless, then bring it to BOSTES and explain to them about his biased marking and useless re-marking.

Good luck.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
In our school we can submit an assessment appeal, so try that if you have one or try speaking to curriculum coordinator or the teacher/head of department.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
ya ur teacher fucked

do u kno why he would have any reason to not like you

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Also in exams you use student numbers so if you change your handwriting he won't notice you :) unless he honestly hates you so much that he will memorise your student number.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Also in exams you use student numbers so if you change your handwriting he won't notice you :) unless he honestly hates you so much that he will memorise your student number.
They can probably find out your name from your student number without needing to memorise it (probably not supposed to though).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
i need help on what to do in regards to my chemistry teacher, my teacher seems to mark me down for stuff that isn't chemistry e.g.-

-lost marks because my writing is to small, even though every other kid in my class can read it and say its neat (lost 4 marks in one test 3 in another)

-lost marks because my diagram was to small, filled whole space available for the diagram (lost 1 mark in 2 separate tests)

-lost marks for punctuation/spelling, spelled Bunsen burner as Bunsen Burner (lost 1 mark for the capital letter)
Did you ask your teacher why you've been losing marks for such apparently trivial things?

Kat92

HSC
1. The teacher can make comments to you about the need to improve writing for clarity. However, the teacher deducting marks for such a thing is another thing in itself, I would be questioning if you haven't already.

2. Was the diagram in pencil, neat, all parts clearly labelled, headings, axis and scale correct, etc? If so I would question what other detail the teacher was looking for.

3. Hmm.. that is just plain trivial unless outcomes/indicators were on the cover of the test explaining that spelling and grammar were going to be assessed.

I would ask your teacher first why you lost marks or how you can improve and if not happy with the response follow up with the Head Teacher or your Year Advisor.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

I seem to be the only kid in the class losing marks for this stuff, now I'm in my HSC year I do not want it fucking with atar. Should I take future assessments to my teacher for remarking (he is somewhat patronizing about remarking though) or should i take them to bostes for remarking.

thanks
Can you provide us photos of stuff you lost marks on so we can see?

shumphrey

HSC
1. The teacher can make comments to you about the need to improve writing for clarity. However, the teacher deducting marks for such a thing is another thing in itself, I would be questioning if you haven't already.

2. Was the diagram in pencil, neat, all parts clearly labelled, headings, axis and scale correct, etc? If so I would question what other detail the teacher was looking for.

3. Hmm.. that is just plain trivial unless outcomes/indicators were on the cover of the test explaining that spelling and grammar were going to be assessed.

I would ask your teacher first why you lost marks or how you can improve and if not happy with the response follow up with the Head Teacher or your Year Advisor.
1. already have questioned it but wont do anything about it unless its a hsc assessment, all of those were year 11 stuff

2.pencil-yes, neat-others in my class say its fine, labels and headings-yes, axis and scale-not needed

3.yep not on test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)