How relevant is HSC chem to university chem? (1 Viewer)

shumphrey

HSC
My chem teacher told my class about one student she used to teach who got a band 5 in chem but won a university prize for chem, how did someone with a band 5 (albeit a high one-88) get a university prize for chem? Shouldn't they have gotten at least a band 6?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It's about studying and improving, like yeah HSC chem is helpful but only so much

I did absolute shit in HSC chem but put my head down in university and got a HD

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
My chem teacher told my class about one student she used to teach who got a band 5 in chem but won a university prize for chem, how did someone with a band 5 (albeit a high one-88) get a university prize for chem? Shouldn't they have gotten at least a band 6?
Maybe because it's very different and largely irrelevant in general.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
In first year, uni chem is just like hsc chem. Later on you get into the specifics of physical and organic chemistry (which thankfully will be taught in the new hsc syllabus). It doesn't matter what levels of maths you have, as long as you can do basic maths you're fine.

Just wanna also point out it doesn't matter if you did bad or good in hsc chem. I know a person who didn't do hsc chem and still ended up with a distinction in uni chem.

donkily

HSC
N/A
not relevant tbh

maybe knowing some log rules but that's it really

no amount of maths will help u in organic chem rip
you already have to know logs in hsc chem dont you?

do you do forensic or industrial chemistry in uni

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC chem is significantly different from uni chem-uni chem is a lot harder in the sense you learn a lot more concepts, almost no need to write any essays/long answers-it is more about knowing the maths involved and applying skills-i.e. organic chemistry in particular with their roadmaps and stuff, as a result-HSC results are nowhere a good indicator of uni results.

One person who came 2nd in the state for chem -didn't top chem (or even came close)-and that's partially because HSC chem mostly tests rote learning skills, uni chem tests something else-in particular there is much more emphasis on lab skills.

shumphrey

HSC
HSC chem is significantly different from uni chem-uni chem is a lot harder in the sense you learn a lot more concepts, almost no need to write any essays/long answers-it is more about knowing the maths involved and applying skills-i.e. organic chemistry in particular with their roadmaps and stuff, as a result-HSC results are nowhere a good indicator of uni results.

One person who came 2nd in the state for chem -didn't top chem (or even came close)-and that's partially because HSC chem mostly tests rote learning skills, uni chem tests something else-in particular there is much more emphasis on lab skills.
Thanks, I'm considering chem In uni because I like the concepts behind it and potential careers it offers but I hate the long response Q's and memorization involved so it's a bit of a relief

btw what did the 2nd in the state person come in the uni (out of how many people)

Flop21

HSC

But you can't do uni chem without HSC chem.

I mean you can obviously, but fk is it hard.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But you can't do uni chem without HSC chem.

I mean you can obviously, but fk is it hard.
Lol I never said you shouldn't do HSC chem, I just pointed out the difference between HSC and uni chem
In response to O/C, the person who came 2nd in the state didn't really have a place-in the sense uni has so many people, that unless you are the top 3 or top10 you will have no idea how you place amongst other people in the group.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Lol I never said you shouldn't do HSC chem, I just pointed out the difference between HSC and uni chem
Cool, I never said you did.

Was adding onto what you said for readers of this thread, not for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)