Are the HSC modules for Chem similar to each other (1 Viewer)

StudyHard123

HSC
So in Year 11 now, and the Preliminary Modules are somewhat similar to each other.

I was wondering if the HSC modules are like this, or more similar to each other or less similar to each other.

To those who might not understand, an example is the physics prelim modules; they're not similar to each other (at all).

Also, do you need to know all the Prelim content for Chem well to do Chem in Year 12 and HSC?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you need to know like the foundation of prelim like understanding of mole calculations, intermolecular forces, but actual content like about the Bronze Age or stuff like that no. It's more the general understanding of how the chemistry works.

The topics do have stuff in common like use of moles for calculations etc.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
To be honest, chemistry was my hardest subject in year 11 and I considered dropping it. I didn't know much other than what polar and non polar things were and it was until year 12 when I knew how to do mole calculations, which is really important. So don't know if you're having trouble with concepts in year 11 because I was in that position and I still managed to do good in year 12.

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah like Jazz519 said, year 11 chemistry builds the foundations in terms of mole calculations, ratios, bonds, compounds etc
These are applied in yr 12 chemistry, there is some overlap in the topics Eg Moles, calculations, reaction rates etc but are mostly independent of one another

Sp3ctre

HSC
I think people have more or less only answered your second question. In my opinion, no they're not similar to each other. I'll give you a brief overview of the core topics, the main three are Production of Materials, The Acidic Environment and Chemical Monitoring and Management.

Production of Materials consists of learning about the polymers (plastics), electrochemistry and nuclear chemistry. This is by far the longest topic and there is a lot of memorisation required, and very few of the concepts link to the other two topics.

The Acidic Environment is about acids and bases. One of the most important sections you will learn about in this module is equilibrium, and this is essential for the Haber Process (one focus area in Chemical Monitoring and Management). However the rest of the content is new.

Chemical Monitoring and Management relies on your knowledge of equilibrium for the Haber Process, but you will again learn new content like CFCs and Water Quality.

And the fourth module is your optional topic which your teachers picks for you. I can't say that the three core modules are completely irrelevant to each other, the foundation you build in Year 11 is essential for Year 12, but each module focuses on quite different concepts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)