Desperate guidance needed (1 Viewer)

dragon658

HSC
Hey guys,

I've arrived with about a month left,I know next to nothing. I need to know how to get 50% in Chemistry and whether or not that is far too optimistic for my situation or about right. Where can 'easy' marks come from?
Multiple choice I'm not so bad at... just great at educated guesses.

What do I do.

Help.

Snowflek

HSC
I find multiple choice the hardest part of the exam as they are more tricky. The short answers and long responses are much more easier (i think) and straight forward as they will ask exactly what they want instead of trying to trick you like the multiple choice. Also, getting a raw mark of 50% in the HSC chemistry exam shouldn't be too hard. Just revise all your notes (should be finished by now). I don't think anything is easy marks unless you have studied, but generally the first few questions of the multiple choice you must/should get 100% correct as its NESA just giving you free marks. In every chem exam, there will be calculations which isn't too hard, but can be challenging at first. Also, I've seen in many many years that they keep asking about ethanol(2-6marks), bromine experiment(1-3marksish?), naming haloalkanes and so on. Just study all your content and 50% is easily achievable. Also, make sure you do a few past papers.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
one month is quite a bit of time for you to be able to even get like at least 75% in the exam. Here's some advice I wrote to another student before: http://community.boredofstudies.org/17/chemistry/354315/band-6-a.html#post7197320

In terms of specific to your situation, get a hold of a good set of notes from someone who has already scored a band 6 in the subject, and just go through the dot points one by one (you should easily be able to get through like 1/2 a topic in a day) and try to understand them. Calculations are always asked like titration and balancing equation stuff so if you know that stuff you can probably get at least like 10 to 15 marks in the exam through the that.

Try to do some questions from like a textbook or from your past paper trials or HSC as well to practice AFTER you have learned the dot points.

Pretty much you're not in as bad a situation as you think, if you actually put in the effort within this month then you can easily achieve 50% or probably higher, but it all depends on your willingness to study because if you don't know anything at this point of the year, I suspect you had to have to been slacking off through out the year

dragon658

HSC
Pretty much you're not in as bad a situation as you think, if you actually put in the effort within this month then you can easily achieve 50% or probably higher, but it all depends on your willingness to study because if you don't know anything at this point of the year, I suspect you had to have to been slacking off through out the year
Exactly. I've done literally no study for Chem, just threw my hands up and said its all too hard.. now, that approach is one I have sort of started, but do I really have enough time. It isn't really revising it's essentially learning everything for the first time haha.

Also, the option is important to nail isn't it... as it's a dedicated 25%.. can you point me to any notes for Industrial Chemistry?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The notes I had for IC I bought from some person, but if you want like free ones try ACEHSC they have quite a few notes on there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)