microscopic membrane filters (1 Viewer)

zeee1999

HSC
do microscopic membrane filters work via the principle of reverse osmosis?? ive seen something about it but im not sure if it applies for all of them.i searched up the definintion of it and it is "a process by which a solvent passes through a porous membrane in the direction opposite to that for natural osmosis when subjected to a hydrostatic pressure greater than the osmotic pressure"

same1111

HSC
N/A
do microscopic membrane filters work via the principle of reverse osmosis?? ive seen something about it but im not sure if it applies for all of them.i searched up the definintion of it and it is "a process by which a solvent passes through a porous membrane in the direction opposite to that for natural osmosis when subjected to a hydrostatic pressure greater than the osmotic pressure"
That isnt exactly the mechanism that the filter employs. Rather it is a type of membrane filter. There are four types: Nanofiltration-removes most organic particles, Microfiltration-removes particles up to 0.1 microns ie. things like Giardia, Ultrafiltration and Reverse osmosis- removes dissolved salts and metal ions. This is the one you are referring which does force water against the conc gradient, hence the name. However, the rest do not use the same way of purification.

zeee1999

HSC
That isnt exactly the mechanism that the filter employs. Rather it is a type of membrane filter. There are four types: Nanofiltration-removes most organic particles, Microfiltration-removes particles up to 0.1 microns ie. things like Giardia, Ultrafiltration and Reverse osmosis- removes dissolved salts and metal ions. This is the one you are referring which does force water against the conc gradient, hence the name. However, the rest do not use the same way of purification.
oh ok i was confused about if it only applies to one type of membrane filter thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)