Does chemistry get any easier? (1 Viewer)

clo5429

HSC
Okay so, I haven't done too well in chemistry lately, especially my prelim yearly exams (didn't pass). I know they don't count for anything but I put an enormous amount of effort into studying, even covering the entire syllabus and its dot points. I'm a high achiever and getting these poor results back really upsets me considering the hard work I put in. I really want to get better, I've just started year 12 HSC and I'm ahead of the class and totally on top of the work. I think I'm failing at all these mole calculations and equations, does this get any easier? I know I have a long way to go, and to familiarise myself with the subject. OH my question is, does it get any easier? My teacher showed us some trial HSC exams and lord I have no idea about anything in it. I feel so dumb. Any tips? Thanks and sorry for my big, long useless rant.

Snowflek

HSC
Okay so, I haven't done too well in chemistry lately, especially my prelim yearly exams (didn't pass). I know they don't count for anything but I put an enormous amount of effort into studying, even covering the entire syllabus and its dot points. I'm a high achiever and getting these poor results back really upsets me considering the hard work I put in. I really want to get better, I've just started year 12 HSC and I'm ahead of the class and totally on top of the work. I think I'm failing at all these mole calculations and equations, does this get any easier? I know I have a long way to go, and to familiarise myself with the subject. OH my question is, does it get any easier? My teacher showed us some trial HSC exams and lord I have no idea about anything in it. I feel so dumb. Any tips? Thanks and sorry for my big, long useless rant.
The calculations get harder (but not too hard). However, just keep trying. I don't know what your doing wrong, but something about your study habits or whatever is not efficient. Simply, no-one (i hope), should not be getting a decent mark after trying so hard. Just keep trying. Shove all the info thats required from the syllabus in ur head and try to apply that knowledge to questions. I find that, the hard part. Applying your knowledge. You just need to do more questions and you should be fine. Keep chemistry if you do enjoy, and see how you go.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For the mole calculations and equations that is very important for calculation based questions in HSC exams. So try to do as much practice as possible on them to improve. Don't worry about not being able to do anything in a trial, you just started the year so you haven't learnt the content yet, so you shouldn't expect to be able to do it anyway. In terms of other advice have a look at this post I made a while back:http://community.boredofstudies.org/17/chemistry/354315/band-6-a.html#post7197320

clo5429

HSC
The calculations get harder (but not too hard). However, just keep trying. I don't know what your doing wrong, but something about your study habits or whatever is not efficient. Simply, no-one (i hope), should not be getting a decent mark after trying so hard. Just keep trying. Shove all the info thats required from the syllabus in ur head and try to apply that knowledge to questions. I find that, the hard part. Applying your knowledge. You just need to do more questions and you should be fine. Keep chemistry if you do enjoy, and see how you go.
Hey snowflek, thanks for your response. When I study I usually focus purely on the content aspect of it and not the formulas/equations involved. I will definitely make sure I work on the mathematical side of chemistry as that's where I need the most help. Thank you otherwise. :)

clo5429

HSC
For the mole calculations and equations that is very important for calculation based questions in HSC exams. So try to do as much practice as possible on them to improve. Don't worry about not being able to do anything in a trial, you just started the year so you haven't learnt the content yet, so you shouldn't expect to be able to do it anyway. In terms of other advice have a look at this post I made a while back:http://community.boredofstudies.org/17/chemistry/354315/band-6-a.html#post7197320
Hey there jazz, it's seriously so intimidating when you look at the papers that you may have to complete one day. And daunting, like the amount of stuff I have yet to learn. Anyways, thank you very much and I'll check out the link! Thanks :)

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey there jazz, it's seriously so intimidating when you look at the papers that you my have to complete one day. And daunting, like the amount of stuff I have yet to learn. Anyways, thank you very much and I'll check out the link! Thanks :)
Yeah fair enough but just remember it’s over a year u you will learn that stuff so plenty of time :)

Robbie M

HSC
I was in a similar position to your at the beginning of year 12, chem isn't all that hard as long as you understand the eq, i would recommend you practice everyday until you familiarize yourself with the equations, once you do them enough you start to realize they're just the same question but with different numbers. Goodluck

clo5429

HSC
I was in a similar position to your at the beginning of year 12, chem isn't all that hard as long as you understand the eq, i would recommend you practice everyday until you familiarize yourself with the equations, once you do them enough you start to realize they're just the same question but with different numbers. Goodluck
Thanks very much, that's really comforting actually. As long as I practice the questions daily-weekly I should be good. Thanks :) and good luck with your exams!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)