analyse vs explain? (1 Viewer)

Exp

HSC
I have an assignment where there is a question which specifically states to ANALYSE the technical and environmental difficulties in membrane cells..

I've looked up the definitions of these words from the nesa glossary but I'm still confused as to what the difference is between them.
- both mean identify and draw a relationship
- cause + effect--> EXPLAIN ^but in order to analyse we need to draw a relationship which is basically the same thing

I'm guessing analysing= more detail :confused:

Could anyone clarify this- ideally with an example?

rvh

HSC
You're correct! Analysing is much more detailed than explaining. You need to draw out the implications, once you've explained your answer.

Even though I did Chemistry in Year 12 I don't remember much from it (the effects of being old >_<). The fact that I didn't fo science in Uni doesn't help either. Though, I can give you an Economics example. Let's say the question is 'Explain the impacts of an appreciation of the AUD on trade'.

If I was to:
EXPLAIN: An appreciation of the AUD, means that Australian goods are more expensive than overseas goods. As a result, the demand for Australian goods will fall from foreign importers.
ANALYSE: An appreciation of the AUD, means that Australian goods are more expensive than overseas goods. As a result, the demand for Australian goods will fall from foreign importers. The implication from this is a fall in revenue for these Australian businesses. In order to remain competitive these businesses may need to layoff staff, which can lead to a rise in the Australian unemployment rate.

As you can see, you'll end up writing more for an analyse questions than an explain question.

Hopefully another student will have a more Chemistry related answer! :)

Reactions: Exp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)