Coordinate bonding (1 Viewer)

secretsanta16

HSC
Some clarification, a coordinate bond is where an atom shares its lone pair of electrons to form a bonding pair with another atom right?

Okay heres my question why does NH4 have a + charge?

NH3 + H+ -> NH4+
isn't there a left over electron with NH4 making the net charge negative?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes there is a left over electron however you need to consider the origin of the charge. A negative charge doesn't necessarily arise just due to a left over electron. Consider what you are adding together, you are adding a neutral molecule (with an oxidation state of 0) to a positive molecule (with an oxidation state of 1), therefore 0 + 1 = + 1. The charges on both sides of the equation must balance and therefore NH4+ is positive net charge.

secretsanta16

HSC
Yes there is a left over electron however you need to consider the origin of the charge. A negative charge doesn't necessarily arise just due to a left over electron. Consider what you are adding together, you are adding a neutral molecule (with an oxidation state of 0) to a positive molecule (with an oxidation state of 1), therefore 0 + 1 = + 1. The charges on both sides of the equation must balance and therefore NH4+ is positive net charge.

Cheers makes sense now, had to re go over my oxidation reduction notes now i understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)