Do you have to state LCP everytime? (1 Viewer)

Raindrop78

HSC
Like even for 2-3 mark questions when they ask what happens to the reaction if temp is increased or decreased? Or can you just say "according to LCP". For the Haber process would you have to state LCP as well?

Thank you

bjw22

HSC
Don't go overboard but I reckon better safe then sorry just to emphasise it - e.g by Le Chatelier's Principle the equilibrium will shift to the endothermic reactants side to absorb introduced heat.

That's what I've always done so idk, but I think it's right.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't go overboard but I reckon better safe then sorry just to emphasise it - e.g by Le Chatelier's Principle the equilibrium will shift to the endothermic reactants side to absorb introduced heat.

That's what I've always done so idk, but I think it's right.
Like even for 2-3 mark questions when they ask what happens to the reaction if temp is increased or decreased? Or can you just say "according to LCP". For the Haber process would you have to state LCP as well?

Thank you
I would recommend you define it every time, some markers take off marks for not defining it. You don't want to take that chance in the hsc of losing a mark just for not writing 10 words more of something you already know.

The scaffold I recommend for the LCP questions are:
1. (list disturbance i.e. temperature increase, volume decrease whatever it is) ...... disturbs the equilibrium
2. According to Le Chatelier’s Principle (DEFINE), the equilibrium will shift to .....
3. This is the forward/reverse reaction.
4. (effect) Therefore, the concentrations of reactants/products increase/decrease.
5. In some cases link to colours, solubility, etc.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Using that above approach for any of these questions will get you full marks provided you have got the shifting to whatever side it should correct, but anything greater than 3 marks if you don't actually define it, I would say it's not a complete answer

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)