Marks... (1 Viewer)

gabitive

HSC
N/A
How is everyone going in chem?
What marks are you achieving
and how far into the course are you at the moment?

we've still got a bit of the option and some stuff on water to go
and my marks are in the 70s!

Enigma17

we are about half way in finishing our option ( industrial chemistry) and completed the rest of the course... the class is doing pretty well... (there are 5 in total).... when we goto the chemistry enrichment days, we seem to get every question right and can forecast what the lecturer is going to say....

im getting in the mid to high 80's.... (haven't achieved a 90's yet..hoping for it in the trial.... COME ON!!!)
the next person is probably in the 80s, then 70s, then 60s and the other dude just doesnt know jack...
this may sound like im contradicting myself (by saying we're good, then saying how poorly they're going..) but i think its just the last test was a bit of a doozy

bertyboi

The marks in your assessments arent only concentrated on your HSC assessment marks, lets say you got 40 % as your assessment mark however ur group assessment average was like 20%, and lets say in the HSC the group exam average was 80% then your individual assessment marks would get boosted up.
It is very hard to determine whether 70 or 80 or 90 is a good mark or not it really depends on how the rest of your Chemistry class/es go. Lets say you individual assessment mark was 90% however the group assessment average was 80%...and in the HSC Chemistry exam your group exam average achieves 60% then your assessment marks will get pulled down.
I've heard from some BOS member that 87.5 is some target to gurantee that you will not get pulled down, I'm still unsure of this

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The only way to guarantee that you won't be pulled down by the performance of your classmates is to be ranked first overall in your assessment tasks for that course.

gabitive

HSC
N/A
are trials generally easier
or the real thing

(level of difficulty, length of questions etc...)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i swear im hoping my marks are gonna be pulled up cause i am so failing chem!

and truely its not my fault...out of a class of 6 in our half yearlies 2 ppl passed! and those two have tutors and do 3u maths....they are much too smart for their own good!

mind u they didnt pass by much the rest of us got 2 x 45%, 43% and 30%. i wanna know if we all fail miserably at the HSC and our uai's suffer can we go for misconduct? i mean half of year 11 we had no teacher then the teachers we've had have been idiots who didnt know diddly squat! and now we finally have a teacher who knows her stuff and its nearly HSC time....

we havent even started our option, yet alone finished chemical management and monitoring...

what a crappy school...:mad:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can only apply for misadventure appeals before the results are released - I think the final date could be November 11. Not 100% sure on that. They won't be accepted once results have been released.

Nugs

Gee, what school do u go to eviltama??? I express my full sympathy to ur chem class... it must be real bad. I think u should apply for one of those misadventure thingy cos u've had a few teachers...

My class have finished the core and is nearly there with our option (Industrial, I think <----Don't blame my school for my lack of intelligence, I'm usually lost as to what I'm studying...) maybe it's because our teacher teaches using the syllabus so that we know what to learn about...

mannnnndy

chocoholic
i know exactly how u feel eviltama. in y11 we had the WORST business studies teacher you could ever have. we never learnt ne thing from him. but what was really bad was that in the middle of one class he just snapped, said it was because of the guys up the back "impersonating" him and walked right out of the room. we never saw him again. for the rest of the year we had a really bad substitute who either did nothing or kept teaching us accounting *shudders* the horror, the horror.

if ur still behind u might have 2 get some books and go through the syllabus urself. i know that sux, but if u seriously dont want 2 fail youll have 2 do something like that.

Last edited:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
man my chem trial was 67%
cept it was above average
i think most people failed
my school has hard papers man

but im pissed off you know. the stuff i got wrong wasnt that i didnt know it , it was just the friggin wording of the question. i better learn the syllabus verbs properly

fornar

HSC
we have done the core topics and 3/4 thru our option on shipwrecks and salvage.

Coming second in class thank god for research assigments i totally kick ass in them in all my subjects they help bring me back up fromnot so good exam marks. Hopefully do better in my trial got another week to study for it

Knhan

our chem trials were bloody bulshit.

the questions were fubared and the marking scheme was shit.

i goto ruse btw.

average mark in grade would be about 60 somethin and quite a few people failed.

one freak got 98 :mad:

the rest of us, most of whom knew most of the stuff and were owning chem before the trial, got screwed arounf, ending up with shit low marks

in all our other asessments, average was 90 something percentn for chem, now its low 70 something cos we had a shit test

but its funny cos there were heaps of people who cheated, like this loser at our school who went to the toilet twice in the chem exam for like 20 minutes each time to look at his notes and got only low 50s, who ended up only just passing or failing...
hahahahahahahaah

Jenn

our average wasnt very high ether.. in the 50's!!

damn chem.. some schools did the CSSA however the teacher kinda changed the marking criteria... which inevitably boosted up EVERYONES marks!.. pretty unfair!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Jenn - your raw assessment marks don't matter, only your ranking. You won't have been disadvantaged.

Jenn

so we arent ranked against other schools... hmm....

oh cool thanks...
but hsc we are ranked with everyone! argh!!

milo

just wondering.......what sorta marks did ppl who used the NEAP trial get?.....friken failed it totally......

COMPREHENSIVE

I don't know about the NEAP trail but the CSSA trail had some preety stupid questions which our teacher replaced with questions from the Independent trail. This mixed trail paper was probally 5 to 10% easier than the real CASSA trail.

I got 84% which was good except that 3 people beat me, the top mark was 93% and others failed poorly.

Jenn

grrr why didnt our teacher do that!!!
CSSA was extremely hard
the marking criteria was stupider!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i did neap, it had a shocking rubric. You know for that last question, the one on comparing mercury cell and membrane cell, i lost 4 marks coz instead of putting sodium's in the amalgm(sp), i put sodium ions. The reason was becoz my explanation of how merc cells work is wrong, so therefore i did not correctly compare both cells correctly, therefore i lost 4/7 marks coz i put "ions" in!
THE LOGIC!

I got 68% total. But i reckon they marked it pretty hard.

Case Study

HSC
We did a paper that was made from 3 different papers.

Got 81.5% Which isn't that good considering about 7 ppl at least beat me. :(

All those stupid mistakes I made. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)